Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol brace ban: Who's the maker and what happens to the ones in dealer inventory

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I don't have any braced firearms, but in looking at the pictures on the ATF website file showing examples all are SBR's with no case of just a braced pistol. Braces were an entirely new category of accessories and just a quick googling shows

The ATF itself estimates three to seven million of the devices exist. The Congressional Research Service puts the number much higher at somewhere between 10 and 40 million.

What a complete cluster.

Feedback Score
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This is all Southpark levels of fukking retardation.
    I bet Kyle’s mom is behind it.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    SOTs can use a Form 2 to register "braced pistols" in their inventory on the day that the ruling is published to the register. After that, they are transferred on a Form 4 like any other NFA item

Joe Citizen still uses a Form 1 to register these. If you're not a SOT, you don't have access to Forms 2 or 3.

So you, Joe Citizen, are still the "Maker" of the SBR (I.e. the person who "made" it into an NFA item by adding it to the registry, not the person who carved it out of metal), however you will not be required to engrave your information (name, city, state) or pay the tax.

Bare tubes are still OK for AR pistols so long as they are between 6 and 6.5" in length. Tubes are *not* allowed on other stuff, such as AK, PC chargers, etc because they are not "functionally necessary" for those firearms.

The FAQ is here:
    https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regula...edpdf/download

And this is a Power Point deck that is, essentially, a TL/DR of the 270+ page ruling:
    https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regula...08pdf/download
    Last edited by kerplode; 01-18-23 at 10:25.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    So crazy that the nfa item doesn't need to be engraved

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Another small detail...

In order to qualify for the tax forbearance, you have to own the 'braced pistol' and it has to be in your physical possession in that configuration on the effective date of the ruling (i.e. the date it's published to the federal register). If you intend to F1 it to your trust, it has to be scheduled as property of the trust as of the effective date. In other words, you can't acquire new items during the 120 day grace period and register them for free. They will still require registration if you intend to keep them in "braced pistol" configuration, but you will be subject to normal F1 process (tax and engraving)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    So crazy that the nfa item doesn't need to be engraved
    They are already engraved with the manufacturer's markings. Those markings are adopted just like a factory SBR. To me it would be crazy to require whoever's registering the braced pistol to engrave their information if they were not actually the maker.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    They are already engraved with the manufacturer's markings. Those markings are adopted just like a factory SBR. To me it would be crazy to require whoever's registering the braced pistol to engrave their information if they were not actually the maker.
    I get that. I just don't understand why they are not having the user be the maker.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I get that. I just don't understand why they are not having the user be the maker.
    Because they literally didn't make the what the ATF is now claiming is an SBR. If you bought something and didn't change anything, how could you swear that you made it? Saying that you made it would be an admission that you committed a felony when in fact you did absolutely nothing at all.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Because they literally didn't make the what the ATF is now claiming is an SBR. If you bought something and didn't change anything, how could you swear that you made it? Saying that you made it would be an admission that you committed a felony when in fact you did absolutely nothing at all.
    Right!?!? But if I went through the same process a week ago I would be the maker.
    nawai

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast