Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's 2023, what role does the shotgun fill today?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

It's 2023, what role does the shotgun fill today?

So, I am kicking around the idea of sending a 590 off to Vang Comp, but I just can't find a role for a tactical scattergun in my life with my multiple RDS/WML equipped pistols and carbines. But, maybe I am completely missing the picture here.

What role do you see the shotgun filling in 2023 these days? What niche does it cover that the carbine and pistol do not? What role does it fill for you?

Feedback Score
    I mean, outside of breaching or using one for bird hunting (i'm assuming you're talking about a tactical shotgun), it's hard to justify a shotgun as a go-to CQB weapon, when short barreled rifles are much better suited for the role in almost every way.

That being said, shotguns do a LOT of damage at CQB distances, and i sure as hell would hate to get shot with 00 buck or a 1oz slug at close range. I also think they're a blast to shoot and fun in 3-gun comps. Not to mention the shotgun fighting scenes in the Terminal List and John Wick were pretty cool haha.

But at the end of the day, even though I have a tricked out Beretta 1301 tactical that I shoot alot, I still prefer my 8" suppressed 300BLK when i hear a bump in the night.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My Benelli M4 sits beside my bed every night.

They’re extremely versatile and can take down pretty much anything that might come after you.

Bird hunting
    Deer hunting
    Bear Hunting
    Elk Hunting
    Zombie hunting
    Home defense

Hell, most criminals would run ascaret when I rack my M4!

Shotguns in my view have just as large a role today as 100 years ago.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hunting birds. No different than any other year.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Defensive use in an area with large animals.

Familiarity, like older cops, someone who hunts or plays a lot of shotgun games but doesn’t care to train with a carbine.

In a ban state or as a hedge against a future ban.

Feedback Score
    putting 10" holes in soft targets at 20 feet? As useful as it ever was?

Feedback Score
    I've found shotguns (depending on exact shotgun) are most-likely 50 state "friendly" (aka legal) vs. AR/AK rifles.

This may or may not be an issue for folks who don't travel with long guns or mostly stay within their own state where whatever they own is already legal.

This goes beyond mag capacity, as the entire AR/AK rifle, regardless of mag capacity may not be allowed in certain states.

Just a thought and won't apply to everybody.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    So, I am kicking around the idea of sending a 590 off to Vang Comp, but I just can't find a role for a tactical scattergun in my life with my multiple RDS/WML equipped pistols and carbines. But, maybe I am completely missing the picture here.

What role do you see the shotgun filling in 2023 these days? What niche does it cover that the carbine and pistol do not? What role does it fill for you?
    First of all, I'd weigh the decision to spend the money sending the shotgun off for work until I've used it a bit. No disrespect to Vang Systems intended, but aside from porting, pretty much any gun smith can take care of chambers, lengthening forcing cones, and back boring. Aside from that, flight control wads and their copies pattern pretty good out of most 'martial' shotguns with cyl or imp cyl bores. I have ported shotguns, and I'm meh about the concept for shotguns.

As far as what need the shotgun fills in 2023, same as in 2022, or every year since the advent of FC wads (IMO) - transmission of KE and multiple wound channels into a target. As someone mentioned, that gaping hole in the chest of an unarmed subject shot within 15 yards, or the instant stop and drop of a ten yard and in face shot.

I feel that the shotgun is the ideal hunker in place and wait for the bad guys to come to you. Although opinions will vary, I'm of the opinion that if I have to enter a room and engage multiple targets in a hurry, the shotgun is an advantage, not a hindrance because of it's patterning characteristics.

Pistols and rifles have their places in home defense, but the shotgun is still a viable tool for the folks who care to learn the operation and feeding of the shotgun.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-17-23 at 00:30.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    AR carbines and Glock 9mm's are my "go to" defensive firearms, but I still train with AKs, revolvers and shotguns (both semi and pump). They are just another tool in the toolbox to me. One thing that is indisputable with a properly loaded shotgun is it's incredible close range devastation.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    In my neck of the woods the shotgun is the way to go,as they are not restricted or neutered the way the AR platform is. They are 50 state friendly.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast