Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It's 2023, what role does the shotgun fill today?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A shotgun is just as useful as it ever was. Id say even more so with advancements in ammunition and good semi auto guns.

If Im out in the wilderness where I might encounter large dangerous animals, it gives me a gun that will take care of that while still being a very effective defensive tool against bad guys.

On the home defense/self defense front it is still the king of close range effectiveness. Ive never seen someone take a good COM hit with buckshot or slugs and still be a threat afterwards. I cant say the same thing with a carbine/rifle. I still use an AR as my preferred defensive weapon and believe it has multiple advantages over the shotgun. But that doesn't take away the fact that a 12 gauge shotgun is a very effective defensive weapon.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Take a Symtac shotgun class. Rob Haught has some pretty convincing statistics for properly set shotguns with Federal FC 8 pellet 00 buck shot.

There are many instances of mil, LE, and civilian use of force cases with rifles that required 3-5 rounds or more to stop the threat. There are very few incidents with a shotgun that required more than one. You can put 8 pellets in a threat quicker than you can fire 8 rounds of 5.56. 1 and done is better than taking multiple shots for several reasons.

Versatility is another plus, with a side saddle or shell card you can have a couple slugs on board if you need some serious penetration.

A shotgun with a WML, a red dot, 6 rounds of 8 pellet 00 buck, and 5 more in a side saddle can be an optimal choice if you can run it. Multiple targets and transitions can be just as fast considering you're putting 8 rounds on target with one trigger pull.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    You can put 8 pellets in a threat quicker than you can fire 8 rounds of 5.56...
    As long as think you will never miss a shot.

And a single 00 pellet does not equal a 5.56 wound channel.

Plus for most people the carbine is easier to shoot, while taking less training to get to and maintain reasonable proficiency.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I think it is an excellent choice for less experienced shooters. Which is the majority of gun owners these days. If my wife had to defend herself, I would want her to point that blaster and blast. I have a youth 20g 870 that makes a good wife shotty with 00 buck.

I have a Colt 10.5 by my bed but would never feel under gunned with my Benelli.

Its good to take one to the range and see what destruction it does from time to time. It's impressive.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Recent owner of 1301, did not have a 'need' but a want. They are fun as phuck to shoot. Should a 'serious purpose' arise my glock or AR is my first choice, but a SG at the bedside can be a formidable weapon as well. As previously mentioned, and an advantage I never considered, is that they are a good weapon to take on intestate road trips, as I don't believe any states have any regulations regarding their use, including tyrannical shit holes like Ny /Nj/Ma/Ct.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I have a youth 20g 870 that makes a good wife shotty with 00 buck.
    I see people talk about 20ga for lower recoil but I've only seen 00 buck in 3in at higher velocity when I've looked. I think it kicks harder than low recoil 12ga. Is there some 4 buck that is lightly loaded? I admit I don't pay much attention after I see 4 buck, as it's under the the 1 buck recommended minimum.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I see people talk about 20ga for lower recoil but I've only seen 00 buck in 3in at higher velocity when I've looked. I think it kicks harder than low recoil 12ga. Is there some 4 buck that is lightly loaded? I admit I don't pay much attention after I see 4 buck, as it's under the the 1 buck recommended minimum.
    The 20 ga buckshot I see is No 2 or No 3 buck. No 2 buckshot is .27", significantly larger and heavier than No 4 at .24". No 1 buck is .30".

Rio used to sell 20 ga "9 pellet 00 buckshot", which was actually No 1 buckshot and now sell No 1 buckshot 20 Ga loads. I guess they realized everyone knows its not possible to fit 9 00 pellets in a 2.75" 20 ga shell. I liked the Rio to mess around with because it was sold in 25 rd boxes.

I think we get hung up on 00 or 1 buckshot because the larger buckshot performs much better at longer ranges. Thats not such a concern at HD ranges. My biggest issue with 20 Ga is not having the FC wad available.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-22-23 at 23:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Can take out doors, things on the other side of a doors, windshields, floors, some motor vehicles, deer, birds, cats, dogs.

An old lady told me a story when she was a kid on the far that would every day walk the fence line with an over under .22/.410, she would say the 22 is for the rabbit and the 410 for the bird she spooked.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Breaching...... Everything else can be done better by a rifle or a pistol.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1 buck is minimum size for good barrier penetration. Good barrier penetration is also good against heavy bones.

I’ll agree it’s more important for a patrol car use, but don’t agree it’s not any concern for HD.

How many of those 20ga 2 buck loads are low recoil? Full power 20ga kicked harder than low recoil 12ga, it’s harder to find, and it’s not FC.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast