Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: It's 2023, what role does the shotgun fill today?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    As long as think you will never miss a shot.

And a single 00 pellet does not equal a 5.56 wound channel.

Plus for most people the carbine is easier to shoot, while taking less training to get to and maintain reasonable proficiency.
    Not to mention a rifle has 4x the ammunition without reload. I love my 1301, but hard to argue a rifle is just a better all around fighting weapon.

Feedback Score
    Truth of the matter is most shotgun fight don’t go more than two rounds. As with anything else you have to put the time in on them and most won’t. It will stay loaded in the closet or the corner waiting for the day.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For me personally-there will never be a time where my defense shottys wont have a role.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Detmongo View Post
    Truth of the matter is most shotgun fight don’t go more than two rounds. As with anything else you have to put the time in on them and most won’t. It will stay loaded in the closet or the corner waiting for the day.

It's funny 'cause it's true.

A short (18 in, shorty stock) SxS with a light & two extra shells on it (optional) and a pistol on you for backup & you're plenty HD ready.

Unless your concern is a home invasion by guys who have armor and REALLY are willing to push aside their dead to get you. That's kinda rare.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    For me personally-there will never be a time where my defense shottys wont have a role.
    Same. I would feel just as confident and comfortable with my 1301 as I would with any of my rifles or pistols.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    It's funny 'cause it's true.

A short (18 in, shorty stock) SxS with a light & two extra shells on it (optional) and a pistol on you for backup & you're plenty HD ready.

Unless your concern is a home invasion by guys who have armor and REALLY are willing to push aside their dead to get you. That's kinda rare.
    Another thing to look at depending on where you live and the political climate, defending yourself with a shotgun might be much easier to justify than using a Black Rifle. Imagine a leftist prosecutor making a huge issue out of using a weapon of War (because no one needs a weapon of war) to defend themselves. I keep a plain Jane 870 20” rifle sights Hogue youth stock on loaded with #4 buck. Hey Mr/Mrs prosecutor I used my youth modle deer gun to defend my self. It’s all bullshit but something to ponder depending on where you live.

Feedback Score
    I'm not a fan of shotguns due to their lack of range. They who manage the space win the fight as they say. People choosing them as their primary carry baffles me, but I do plan on buying one, because 12ga is the only thing I see on the shelf sometimes. They are deadly, loud, and cool looking. If I had the $$$ I'd buy one yesterday.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 33XRAY View Post
    I'm not a fan of shotguns due to their lack of range. They who manage the space win the fight as they say.
    I think the shotgun manages the space within its effective range pretty effectively in terms of terminal ballistics.

Let's be honest, though. If you are moving about in public, neither the rifle nor the shotgun are likely to be carried. Likewise, the increased effective range of the rifle over the shotgun or pistol is not needed in most street or HD encounters.

There is no perfect firearm for every situation. The pros and cons of rifle, pistol and shotgun have been discussed ad nauseum on this forum and others and opinions vary.

That being said, if I had to choose one firearm for home and self-defense it would be a pistol, I can't 'practically' carry a rifle or shotgun into the grocery store in a manner where it is as readily available as a concealed handgun.

YMMV.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    My thoughts on this:
    I've owned:
    18" 870 w/Mesa M4 Stock
    Benelli M4
    870P w/Surefire Foreend
    Mossberg 590

I still own the 590, if for nothing else than I have quite a bit of 12g ammo and need something other than my Citori to shoot it.

My thought process on the shotgun is that it is a specialized tool. Breaching, hunting, "home defense", etc, and yet each of those applications likely needs to be set up differently to be effective in their specialization.

I feel like "end of the world" fantasies are pretty unrealistic. A good concealed pistol with a spare mag is probably going to be gold in those scenarios as it doesn't really matter if you are carrying a woodstocked 870 or an AR15, most folks arent gonna be pleased by the sight of it.

As far as a true do it all defensive weapon, I am hard pressed to see where the shotgun outshines the 14.5" AR15. Length, recoil, capacity, reloads, distance, speed, etc. Yes, the shotgun is devastating at close range, but it has many drawbacks compared to an AR.

So, with all this in mind, I decided to keep the 590 in my safe, and buy more training and ammo for pistol/carbine courses than buy another shotgun.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, it's been quite a long time since trench shotguns scared the Germans into complaining about them being illegal in warfare.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast