Thread: Questionable gas block pin

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Questionable gas block pin

I just bought a barrel off the EE over on TOS, and they appear to have drilled to low on the gas block for pinning. I'm not worried about the barrel because the pin is so shallow into the barrel material, but should I replace the gas block and have the pin redone when it arrives?

https://imgur.com/a/I850xWQ

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I wouldn't.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I wouldn't.
    Same. I would't pin a low pro gas block at all, but I'd definitely dimple and set screw it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nope. Just shoot it.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Judging from the pics, there is plenty of pin in the barrel. It really does not take much and this is not a case of more is better. HK is spot on - just shoot it.

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Judging from the pics, there is plenty of pin in the barrel. It really does not take much and this is not a case of more is better. HK is spot on - just shoot it.

Andy
    Agree. Less it more according to the barrel manufacturers. WOA claims aggressive pinning messes up barrel harmonics.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Agree. Less it more according to the barrel manufacturers. WOA claims aggressive pinning messes up barrel harmonics.
    I've used the Geissele Super Gas Blocks in carbon steel from ALG on most of my builds. I've always done the 'bomb proof' installation process using the supplied coil pin. Having said that, I can see White Oak's point. OTOH, what does pressing the barrel up against the top of the gas block in two places with the set screws do to barrel harmonics?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    More margin for error the deeper it gets, that makes sense to me.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I would think a LW barrel would have more of an issue, especially those with a .625" gas journal.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I would think a LW barrel would have more of an issue, especially those with a .625" gas journal.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!