Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Blown primers and other malfunction troubleshooting

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Would like to add a data point to the A5 not wanting to chamber phenomenon. I just picked up a brand new A5 built lower that had noticeably more resistance to charging and grittiness than my other 2. I pulled the spring and buffer and lightly coated Slip 2k grease and then EWL 30 on the spring, buffer and as far inside the tube as I could get. After running it manually a dozen times, it became much easier and smoother to run the charging handle.

I wonder if some of the difficulties people have had are related to this. FWIW.
    Hmm. Thats not a bad point. I think I stopped oiling springs about the same time I started shooting A5s a lot, because stainless GI springs. Although, I must point out that this procedure is totally unnecessary with a GI carbine setup.

I’ll try to remember to give that a try.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Would like to add a data point to the A5 not wanting to chamber phenomenon. I just picked up a brand new A5 built lower that had noticeably more resistance to charging and grittiness than my other 2. I pulled the spring and buffer and lightly coated Slip 2k grease and then EWL 30 on the spring, buffer and as far inside the tube as I could get. After running it manually a dozen times, it became much easier and smoother to run the charging handle.

I wonder if some of the difficulties people have had are related to this. FWIW.
    I see that you have owned a JP Ground & Polished carbine spring so you know how smooth those are. Have you tried the rifle version in the A5?
    Last edited by Disciple; 04-18-23 at 12:26.
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I see that you have owned a JP Ground & Polished carbine spring so you know how smooth those are. Have you tried the rifle version is the A5?
    I haven't, but now that you mention it, I think I'm going to order a pair.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Blown primers and other malfunction troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Finally got the upper shipped back to Criterion this morning. They sent me a prepaid UPS label within a day of me sending the last update with the blown primers after switching to an EBCG but I just hadn’t gotten around to getting it in the mail. The CS rep has been super responsive so I’m optimistic about them taking care of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Upper got there on the 12th, finally heard back today. I’d sent two emails just trying to confirm that it got where it needed to go and both went unanswered. A month at Criterion and going from extremely responsive to no response at all was less than ideal. I was starting to wonder if the CS rep had gotten in a car accident or something.

That said, the rep measured both BCGs I sent in and stated that both were too small to headspace properly. This seems odd for two different bolts, one Geissele and one LMT E-bolt, both of which head spaced correctly off of normal gauges. However, he had previously stated that Criterion holds tighter tolerances so it’s not entirely surprising that my head space gauge didn’t match theirs. Either way, he included a headspaced BCM bolt and it should be on the way back to me.

One more email saying that he got the upper but it might take a minute to go through would’ve been awesome but assuming this was the issue and it’s all resolved now, their CS was great IMO. I absolutely can’t complain about getting a headspaced BCM bolt free of charge, especially considering they offer Fulton Armory BCGs on their sight for less than the BCMs and he could’ve given me a bolt from them, or just charged me. His responses were always detailed as well. I’ve definitely had CS experiences where I sent something in and then get an email stating that it’s coming back (SureFire did it today). Having a rep take the time to write more than one sentence and actually inform the end user of the issue is part of what separates good and great CS.

Unfortunately I’ll be gone for work for a lot of this summer and probably won’t get to test it out any time soon. Agin though, assuming this fixed the issue, there’s a good chance Criterion will stay at the top of my list the next time I need a barrel, I’ll just make sure to get a headspaced bolt with it too.

Last edited by Wake27; 05-12-23 at 20:19.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Upper got there on the 12th, finally heard back today. I’d sent two emails just trying to confirm that it got where it needed to go and both went unanswered. A month at Criterion and going from extremely responsive to no response at all was less than ideal. I was starting to wonder if the CS rep had gotten in a car accident or something.

That said, the rep measured both BCGs I sent in and stated that both were too small to headspace properly. This seems odd for two different bolts, one Geissele and one LMT E-bolt, both of which head spaced correctly off of normal gauges. However, he had previously stated that Criterion holds tighter tolerances so it’s not entirely surprising that my head space gauge didn’t match theirs. Either way, he included a headspaced BCM bolt and it should be on the way back to me.

One more email saying that he got the upper but it might take a minute to go through would’ve been awesome but assuming this was the issue and it’s all resolved now, their CS was great IMO. I absolutely can’t complain about getting a headspaced BCM bolt free of charge, especially considering they offer Fulton Armory BCGs on their sight for less than the BCMs and he could’ve given me a bolt from them, or just charged me. His responses were always detailed as well. I’ve definitely had CS experiences where I sent something in and then get an email stating that it’s coming back (SureFire did it today). Having a rep take the time to write more than one sentence and actually inform the end user of the issue is part of what separates good and great CS.

Unfortunately I’ll be gone for work for a lot of this summer and probably won’t get to test it out any time soon. Agin though, assuming this fixed the issue, there’s a good chance Criterion will stay at the top of my list the next time I need a barrel, I’ll just make sure to get a headspaced bolt with it too.

I hope that gets it running correctly. I know I've been eyeing another one of their barrels for a LW SPR type.

Feedback Score
    Sorry to hear of blown primers in your barrel, with the MEN amm ( and Igman )

FWIW, I have fired a decent amount of MEN 5.56 and never had an issue. Do you happen to have the Lot # and about when did you purchase it ?

Mine is from years ago. It was boringly consistent function wise. Accuracy is respectable from the various AR's I have shot it from. Especially considering the FMJ aspect.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567