Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blown primers and other malfunction troubleshooting

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Crimped primers will help prevent losing primers in your upper, but the problem remains -- your carbine-length gas system with a suppressor is choking itself.

Without gunsmithing I'd first try an XH buffer and an LMT enhanced carrier. You're going to spend some money.

If you want to keep your present overall system length (with the suppressor you already own) you might try a mid-length gas barrel (port pressure will be lower than with a carbine-length, but overall system pressure time until un-corking is the same). It'll help, but won't solve your pressure-time curve issue.

When you clean the bolt keep an eye open for flame cutting around the primer pocket radius on your bolt face:

I LIKE suppressed ARs, and I like the idea and concept behind them. The mechanics are a challenge, as the rifle-carbine were not originally designed for them.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I doubt it's truly 5.56 pressure ammo. MEN isn't exactly garbage stuff. I'd guess the combo of the Chamber, Gas system, and Suppressor are just not ideal. The powder burn rate in MEN's ammo might be a factor too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Blown primers and other malfunction troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Crimped primers will help prevent losing primers in your upper, but the problem remains -- your carbine-length gas system with a suppressor is choking itself.

Without gunsmithing I'd first try an XH buffer and an LMT enhanced carrier. You're going to spend some money.

If you want to keep your present overall system length (with the suppressor you already own) you might try a mid-length gas barrel (port pressure will be lower than with a carbine-length, but overall system pressure time until un-corking is the same). It'll help, but won't solve your pressure-time curve issue.

When you clean the bolt keep an eye open for flame cutting around the primer pocket radius on your bolt face:

I LIKE suppressed ARs, and I like the idea and concept behind them. The mechanics are a challenge, as the rifle-carbine were not originally designed for them.
    I do have EBCGs in both of my 10.5s so I could easily swap a carrier in to try for a bit. I forgot to check the buffer too but I have one of every weight for spares for the A5 so I could easily drop to A5H0. At this point though I’ll probably keep as is and put some more rounds through it then document the issues better. I have an 11.5 Super Duty and a BCM upper that I need to pour rounds through also so it may just be an expensive trip to the range.

Worst case, I’ll give Criterion a shot at fixing it, otherwise maybe I’ll try out the FCD barrel and see how long a SS lasts. At least I trust their CS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-29-23 at 19:42.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It does look pretty crusty but I have run some filthy guns with soft shooting ammo without issue. Clean rinse and repeat with both MEN and other ammo. I think MEN does a decent job on their ammo, kinda surprised. How violent is the ejection / gun when running? Not that it tells you much but it is a data point, especially if its running hot it should run. Unless that brass just hates that W chamber.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Blown primers and other malfunction troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    It does look pretty crusty but I have run some filthy guns with soft shooting ammo without issue. Clean rinse and repeat with both MEN and other ammo. I think MEN does a decent job on their ammo, kinda surprised. How violent is the ejection / gun when running? Not that it tells you much but it is a data point, especially if its running hot it should run. Unless that brass just hates that W chamber.

PB
    I was taking a private precision course so all single shots really, I tend to notice recoil issues more in a string of fire. That said, the recoil didn’t even register until I took the can off. As soon as I did that, I remember being a bit surprised at how much the felt recoil increased.

I may be able to shoot it this weekend, still going back and forth on whether I should clean it first or not. FWIW, it’s better than how most of my ARs normally look. I rarely clean them and usually it’s a non-issue. The can is still a bit new though and this is my first .233 Wylde chamber, plus the only other time I’ve had popped primers was when I was shooting known shit ammo (Freedom Reman) which all adds to why I was stumped.

Last edited by Wake27; 01-18-23 at 18:47.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That is interesting. I feel more recoil with can on.
    Off and it’s silky smooth.
    PB

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    That is interesting. I feel more recoil with can on.
    Off and it’s silky smooth.
    PB
    Which is what everyone says. It was probably just the positional work we were doing that was less stable that happened to coincide with me pulling the can, but it was definitely noticeable.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've never heard of a dirty rifle running better than a clean and properly lubed one.

I've used MEN's 7.62x51 ammo, but not their 5.56. If stoppages when using any imported ammo were to occur to one of my previously reliable ARs, the ammo is the first thing I'd change....after properly cleaning and lubing it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Which is what everyone says. It was probably just the positional work we were doing that was less stable that happened to coincide with me pulling the can, but it was definitely noticeable.

yea, I guess that falls under all the shit matters huh. Good luck and keep us informed.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

Yep.

Don't rule out adding a Tubbs flatwire AR10 action spring to the above recipe. Yes, the AR10 variant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast