Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blown primers and other malfunction troubleshooting

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Blown primers and other malfunction troubleshooting

So I intentionally did absolutely nothing and was able to go shoot again. 90 unsuppressed rounds later, it was doing well and then in my last mag of the day, I had a dead trigger. Couldn’t drop the hammer or move the selector to safe so I dropped the mag, racked the CH to expend a live round, and cracked open the receivers. Popped primer under the FCG.

I think I was at 142 rounds for the day, all unsuppressed. The most significant part to me is that this was with different ammo - Igman .223. At this point, I’ve shot at least 500 rounds of that .223 and at least 200 rounds of MEN through other guns and this is the only one to have popped primers seizing the whole thing up. Only one of those was with the can mounted. I’m probably going to email Criterion and see what they think. I’ve heard different things about their CS so we’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-29-23 at 19:32.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is sounding a LOT like a chamber issue. Being essentially a new barrel, I would suggest a good chamber polishing before sending the barrel back to Criterion.

In the meantime, post some pictures of your fired brass if you get a chance. Any other pressure signs?
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Blown primers and other malfunction troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    This is sounding a LOT like a chamber issue. Being essentially a new barrel, I would suggest a good chamber polishing before sending the barrel back to Criterion.

In the meantime, post some pictures of your fired brass if you get a chance. Any other pressure signs?
    Forgot to check that. Honestly forgot about trying out one of the E-carriers too. I had to pick up all of the brass though and didn’t notice anything, though most of them were muddy.

ETA - Criterion got back to me within about an hour and asked if I’d headspace’s the bolt and gave me their specs for that. He took the time to talk through some stuff and then also recommended I check gas rings. I appreciate their handling of it so far, now I need to find a gauge that’ll measure to their spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-30-23 at 10:22.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    The MEN 5.56 that I have does not have crimped primer pockets so it's reserved for range use only. It will not be replaced, there are options at that price point that I prefer. So far no problem in carbine gassed Colts, unsupressed.

Feedback Score
    Is it all one batch of ammunition?

Soft brass will also lead to popped primers even with normal chamber pressures . . . .

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've walked this path. I had a double tap and finally my trigger would not break.
    Just like you I found a spent primer lodged in the action. I did a lot of head scratching and finally the member A 3E spotted the problem in a pic I posted. I had improperly installed the hammer spring. This resulted in light primer strikes which results in a slow ignition of the powder. This screws up the dwell time with the bolt lock. Because the powder is burning slower when it reaches the gas tube the bolt unlock and chamber pressure are out of synch. This makes the bolt release but the case would stick in the chamber because of the high chamber pressure. Finally the pressure would drop and the case would release and slam into the bolt and/or the primer would blow out.
    Inspect an empty case for the witness mark of the bolt face.
    I'm thankful A 3E spotted it and kept me from spending more time, money and head scratching.
    I could be wrong with my idea but it's worth a look.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by paddle007 View Post
    I've walked this path. I had a double tap and finally my trigger would not break.
    Just like you I found a spent primer lodged in the action. I did a lot of head scratching and finally the member A 3E spotted the problem in a pic I posted. I had improperly installed the hammer spring. This resulted in light primer strikes which results in a slow ignition of the powder. This screws up the dwell time with the bolt lock. Because the powder is burning slower when it
    No.

The primer either pops or it does not.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    No.

The primer either pops or it does not.
    What do you mean by pop? Ignition or falling out?
    I forgot to mention I was having too many FTF with light primer strikes. Tried different virgin ammo and no change. When the round did go off I would collect the round, that's when I noticed the image of the bolt face stamped into the case.
    I only had a couple of loose primers that actually fell out.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What year was the ammo. Germany stopped production of the ammo when their rifles accuracy went to pot. The bullets had a to thin of a jacket if I remember right. That would be the reason that it was surplus. Germany is not gun friendly and would not release the ammo otherwise. Also the ammo was designed around a gas piston system not a so called Direct Impingement that the AR uses. So the port pressure may be higher when using the ammo. But you would need to see a pressure trace to be able to see what it really is.

My guess, you are over gassed for a suppressor. Or have a weak buffer spring and not enough weight to keep the gun in time.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    We blew more primers yesterday that we have blown in the last two years. Mark loaded some 556 ammo with VV N135, the first load was soft so he bumped it slightly then we had collections of primers in our chambers. Mark can post a pic we took. It was crazy.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast