Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tungsten powder as buffer weights?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Tungsten powder as buffer weights?

I have 3 carbine buffers that I would like to increase weight. I can get 8 ounces of Tungsten powder for around $20.
    Has anyone attempted this?
    I know the ST-T2 buffer uses Tungsten powder exclusively, and I’ve never had an issue with it.
    With the price of weights, or the price of just replacing the buffers….I am totally onboard with this.
    I have a scale, so getting the weight Right should be easy.
    What do you think?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    The ST-T2 has gained a reputation for increasing Bolt bounce and introducing issues that previously were not a factor. I wouldn’t recommend tungsten fill. Why not just get an H2/3 buffer?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am a cheapskate, and have better things to spend money on.
    I guess I just haven’t witnessed any of the issues you mentioned. I’ve had my st-t2 since it first came out. Maybe running it with the Tubbs speed lock solved those issues, I do not know. But, I have noticed no unexpected wear. The weapon in question has only failed to eject once…and that was with Silver Bear.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Or there are dealers that sell actual buffer tungsten weights. I have several in a bin at my house. I can't remember who I bought them from, but I am sure there are several dealers out there.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by john armond View Post
    Or there are dealers that sell actual buffer tungsten weights. I have several in a bin at my house. I can't remember who I bought them from, but I am sure there are several dealers out there.
    I’ve seen them for $20 a piece. That would be $100 to change all three to an H-2, plus shipping….that’s insane!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    "They" did a high speed camera video of the tungsten powder buffer along with other real buffers. The tungsten powder wasn't the worst thing you could run, but it wasn't good enough compared to a real buffer.

I can't see any justification in not buying a real H2 buffer. And I too am pretty cheap.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, it looks like I found a deal.
    KM Tactical has H3 buffers for $10 a piece.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by camoman View Post
    I’ve seen them for $20 a piece. That would be $100 to change all three to an H-2, plus shipping….that’s insane!
    Wow! I don't remember what I paid for mine several years ago, but it was nowhere near that high. They were cheap enough that I bought them just to have on hand if I wanted to change three standard buffers I have laying around up to H2 or H3 weight or to just play around with different weight combinations. I would balk at that price too.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have bought tungsten buffer weights from Midwest Tungsten 3/$30. Probably learned about them here. Always keep a few around. They runs sales occasionally.

https://shop.tungsten.com/tungsten-h...oz-each-ar-15/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    These appear to be solid steel buffers with NO movable weights.

They really have no business calling these H3 buffers.

Quote Originally Posted by camoman View Post
    Well, it looks like I found a deal.
    KM Tactical has H3 buffers for $10 a piece.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast