Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to buy first tactical shotgun. Weighing options

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    590A1 if you want the glock of pump shot guns.

1301 if you want the staccato 2011 of semi auto shot guns.

I had a 18.5” M590A1 and a langdon tactical 1301. Sold them both. Now i own a 20” M590A1, i enjoy the simplicity of the entire package.
    Last edited by Grip; 06-11-23 at 17:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another vote for the Beretta 1301.

Feedback Score
    I’ve had multiples of both a 1301 and 870. I just got rid of my 1301, and am back to an 870 for much the same reasoning as Grip: simplicity.

I enjoyed both, and never had any issues with either of my 1301’s (Gen 1 and latest Gen, both owned at separate times)
    Last edited by Rotundra; 06-12-23 at 08:52. Reason: Spelling

Feedback Score
    I have both, they are not in the same league. There's a huge price difference & functionality, when it comes to ammo reliability the 1301T eats everything just like a pump. If budget is not an issue get the 1301T. I have no experience with the A300 UP but is another option that's ready out of the box cause of the handguard.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Just picked up this 590A1 (#51660). Pretty basic with a basic sling. If the extra weight bothers you, a standard 590 might be worth looking at.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotundra View Post
    I’ve had multiples of both a 1301 and 870. I just got rid of my 1301, and am back to an 870 for much the same reasoning as Grip: simplicity.
    I was eyeing up a 1301 for a few months. Everything I’ve seen… it’s a great shotgun. But I have a lot of shotguns. Multiple Remington 11-87s for hunting, 870P that is one of my home defense gun and TAC-14 that went from having a folding brace (until the letter about braces not being considered for OAL) to a brace… to no brace (after the current brace fiasco… not to mention that ATF approved multiple 12 Gauge firearms with braces and one with a folding brace).

Had the 500 that came in the takedown bag (JIC2… maybe), but hated Mossberg quality. The front bead threads were protruding into the barrel. That left a bad taste in my mouth, as even at Remington’s lowest… never saw a factory barrel like that (bores were always mirror finish). I also prefer the safety location on the Remington over the Mossberg.

Had a KSG for a short time. After upgrading some parts, it was a nice gun… but the chamber selection was too sketchy for me. Not interested in the KS7, being I doubt it will polish up with aftermarket like my SUB-2000 did (awesome, but redid most of the gun).

Still have a Century imported 1887 (actually 1901) lever action shotgun. Cheap as hell, but very fun to shoot. Also an Enfield .410 musket that was converted to standard .410. Again… a fun toy.

I redid an Ithaca 37 when I used it as a donor gun for my dad’s Ducks Unlimited (cracked laminate stock). Same model, so I got a wood set from Boyd’s, had Steve Rose cut the barrel to about 19”/thread for Rem choke and sent to Robar for NP3+. Was home defense at my ex’s house until we broke up. Gave to my dad… who just gave it back. Using it as a spare home defense/truck gun, when need be. Got an AKER CHP shell cuff, which I do recommend (better than their stock version, lined to protect the stock). Ordered a sling setup to use the front swivel and loop on the stock (no swivel on the stock).

So, considering the two defensive shotguns I have are pumps… I really felt that $1,400+ towards a semi-auto 1301 wasn’t the best option for me. Instead… I put $200 to SBS my TAC-14 (picked up an 18” barrel for non-NFA travel, reParkerizing it, new furniture and will be engraved when it is done… might be more than $200, but still less than $1,400). Setting it up like back when work had 14” 870s. Less money, better result for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12