Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy first tactical shotgun. Weighing options

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Looking to buy first tactical shotgun. Weighing options

Hi all! My state recently passed an AWB and I’m unfortunately residing in a county that enthusiastically supports this nonsense. After some thought I decided I’d rather defend my home with 8 rounds of 00 buck than 10 rounds of 5.56.

I’m leaning towards a Beretta 1301 tactical, but also considering an 18.5” Mossberg 590a1. Either gun would receive a sling, light, and likely a red dot.

Cost differences aside, is there any reason to choose the Mossberg over the Beretta? I don’t foresee myself shooting anything besides slugs, buckshot, and birdshot for practice btw.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Looking to buy first tactical shotgun. Weighing options

Read the existing shotgun threads then consider non compliance as it will be struck down in court.

Then also consider moving.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 01-17-23 at 22:59.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post

Cost differences aside, is there any reason to choose the Mossberg over the Beretta? I don’t foresee myself shooting anything besides slugs, buckshot, and birdshot for practice btw.
    This is really a question about considering a pump action vs a semi auto more than it is about these two particular models. From my observation, this debate is about as common as 9mm vs .45 or EOTech vs Aimpoint. Both are valid options with trade offs.

Pump actions are less ammo sensitive, and will shoot just about anything you can feed them. They are mechanically simple and don't require a whole lot of maintenance to keep running. They typically have more felt recoil. You can learn to run a pump very quickly with a lot of training, but a semi-auto will run quickly out of the box with minimal training. You can still have issues with a pump if you short stroke it and don't run the action correctly, so that's a training issue to be aware of.

Semi-autos allow a much higher rate of fire without a whole lot of additional training and practice. They are, however, more sensitive to the loads you shoot through them. Not all semis work well with low-recoil loads, for example. The mechanisms are more complicated and therefore require more maintenance (though, honestly, it's not any more than you do for an AR-15- you just shouldn't really neglect it).

The Mossberg 590 is a known quantity and there's nothing wrong with considering it. There's a huge aftermarket for it as well. I'd also throw in the Benelli SuperNova for consideration in the pump category. There's a smaller aftermarket, but it's a great gun as well.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    THE 1301. I'm not a fan of shotguns, but, its a niche weapon that every weapons enthusiast should own. A short while ago, friend of mine insisted I try his 1301 tactical 7+1, and the next day I purchased one. Very light weight, highly manageable recoil, shot multiple loads from #3 to 00 to slugs, no feeding issues with variety of ammo. Perhaps +/- 200 rds were placed through the 1301 between 3 shooters in the course of a 4 hour range session and no issues. Since then have put another 100 -120 rds through it and no issues. Granted very small sample, but so far have been very pleased with it.
    Last edited by henri; 01-18-23 at 08:54.

Feedback Score
    Get a 1301 tactical and you won't regret it. It's a fantastic shotgun, and i would trust my life to mine any day.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Outside of cost or familiarity I would never pick a pump.

Feedback Score
    I assume the OP bought something already but if not I vote Mossberg cause they’re just cool.

Feedback Score
    1301 if you want the best. 590 if you want good enough.

Both require regular shooting and operation to ingrain the manual of arms.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    If you can afford a good one, then gas guns are where it's at. The Mossberg is a good shotgun for sure, but the Beretta 1301 is in a whole other league. I would also consider the new Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol if cost puts the 1301 out of reach.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast