Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do gen 5 Glock .40's get the new slide cut to curtail BTF?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    well in the past 10 years ive never had brass to face with my glocks so **** if I know, also its a g19.4 and its 10 years old
    I played the brass to the face game since the first Gen 4's were released circa ~2009, which is when I started shooting them.

By 2012 - 2013 the problem was (mostly) already fixed. You could still get a bad copy, but usually could also find a solution. Usually.

Feedback Score
    Some time at the gliktalk forum cleared the idea of buying a non-G5 Glock with supplemental extractor groove unless I can fire it first.

Such headaches. Some guys got it worked out, eventually, but most do not.

I was right about one thing; an optic will protect your face. You know brass to optic is occurring when you see brass go FORWARD and your optic looks battered / damaged.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    It plagued Glocks for over ten years and was near impossible to fix. If you’ve never seen it, you haven’t been around much.
    Well, I spent most of my adult life as one of the firearms instructors at our states law enforcement training center and I want to tell you that the internet was my first inkling of brass to face issues specific to Glocks.

I've seen folks shooting multiple brands experience BTF. In those cases, our response was coaching the fundamentals.

I will admit, though, that student officer's firearm were inspected and armorer service performed before they would hit the range. In the case of Glocks, that meant the upgrade kits were installed.

But, honest, never really noticed the problem specific to Glocks prior to the upgrades.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Well, I spent most of my adult life as one of the firearms instructors at our states law enforcement training center and I want to tell you that the internet was my first inkling of brass to face issues specific to Glocks.

I've seen folks shooting multiple brands experience BTF. In those cases, our response was coaching the fundamentals.

I will admit, though, that student officer's firearm were inspected and armorer service performed before they would hit the range. In the case of Glocks, that meant the upgrade kits were installed.

But, honest, never really noticed the problem specific to Glocks prior to the upgrades.
    Same here. I've been shooting and training people to shoot Glocks since 1998. I've read about brass to forehead ejection on the internet and parts people install to remedy it, but have yet to experience it myself. I own Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4 and Gen 5 Glocks chambered in 9mm and 40 S&W Glocks without modifications. Could underpowered ammunition be causing this issue for some people?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Same here. I've been shooting and training people to shoot Glocks since 1998. I've read about brass to forehead ejection on the internet and parts people install to remedy it, but have yet to experience it myself. I own Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 4 and Gen 5 Glocks chambered in 9mm and 40 S&W Glocks without modifications. Could underpowered ammunition be causing this issue for some people?
    It does for my G3 G19. But other Glocks I've had it didn't matter.

I wish I'd kept the few that didn't have this problem. I didnt realize they were exceptional at the time.

While reading more about G5 Glocks I learned they have a trigger problem resulting in high-effort (trigger gets gritty and takes twice the effort) due to crud getting into certain parts of the mechanism, and debris getting into striker channel which can also cause a trigger pull issue and...light strikes.

Oh, and a few guys have had connectors wear out and a couple reported having broken one.

When do the Gen 6 Glocks arrive?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post

Hotter ammo and a more solid grip will make it worse because more slide velocity is velocity is kind of what causes it.

I have a hard time believing someone makes a living around Glocks and didn’t notice that they dribble brass out all over the shooter. It’s very obvious something is amiss when a pistol with the ejection port on the right side of the gun ejects to the left.

And even if I’m just a noob and can’t shoot, Apex studied and tried to remedy the problem for years, and Glock has made bo less than six modifications to address the issue..
    Last edited by 17K; 01-22-23 at 08:25.

Feedback Score
    Out for all the Glocks I've had the worst was a Gen 3 19, my gen 5 guns have been fine.
    Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. Ben Franklin

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Hotter ammo and a more solid grip will make it worse because more slide velocity is velocity is kind of what causes it.

I have a hard time believing someone makes a living around Glocks and didn’t notice that they dribble brass out all over the shooter. It’s very obvious something is amiss when a pistol with the ejection port on the right side of the gun ejects to the left.
    Like I said, no one in SOF seems to be talking about this.

I’ve never noted any Glock to “dribble” brass.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Responding to no one in particular.

Like pr0n, "BTF" lacks definitive definition but we know it when we see it. For some, BTF is anything other than picturesque tuned ejection patterns.

Ejection in Glocks includes a measure of reliance on a magazine in the gun to support the empty case as it's extracted. You can see this by conducting the 1911 extractor test. Repeat with empty mag, partial mag, full mag, and no mag across assorted Glock models of the same caliber and look at differences in ejection pattern. Now consider variables of case weight, case length, slide speed, shooter grip, parts wear, and there is a lot in play. Some tweaks to extractors and ejectors (OEM and aftermarket) have "helped" but no single variable is at source.

(Additional example: Somewhere here at M4C is a discussion of the Magpul 21rd magazine and stoppages in Glocks when empty, associated with it's different dims and less of the case support described above.)

Given the right combination of variables, BTF can be found across all gens. The breechface cut is an improvement in overall consistency but I've seen cut gen5s with inconsistent ejection patterns. I have a particular G45 that will eject randomly but is 100% reliable. With a few loads, I will leave the range with a couple of carbon swipes on my forehead from empty cases if I'm not wearing a ball cap.

I don't much care, but if we're going to kick it around it's about more than most talk about.

I don't remember ejection attributes in the gen5 40s, other than noting the guns ran and were the best version of the 40s to date.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

And even if I’m just a noob and can’t shoot, Apex studied and tried to remedy the problem for years, and Glock has made bo less than six modifications to address the issue..
    I had a glock that would do btf only with weak ammo. With hot ammo it was fine. I will also add that over almost 2 decades and dozens of glocks, it was the only one that ever had the issue.

That being said, most my glocks are either older gen 3 guns, or newer gen 5 guns. I mostly skipped the gen 4. I have a gen 4 glock 22 that has weak ejection with my 9mm conversion in it, but it's not problematic, and I can't really blame the gun considering I am running a conversion barrel in it.

Soli Deo Gloria

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast