Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Odin Works Ultralight 16" .223 Wylde barrel: quick function report

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    UPDATE:

I telephoned Odin Works today (1/20) and left a message on their VM. About two hours later I received a call from a very nice guy who asked me to tell him about the problem. I described the go gauge situation, and my subsequent range experience. He stated that headspace on all their barrels should have been checked; they would be glad to take a look at the barrel and took me through the RMA request process. I could send the barrel, or the barreled action, and they would check headspace. If I wanted, I could include the bolt/BCG I intended to use and they would check the barrel using that. If they could not get the the headspace to work correctly, then they would send a new barrel after checking headspace with my bolt/BCG.

As soon as I get the RMA form completed, I should get a UPS tag and send it off.

This was an altogether better experience than I have had recently with other barrel manufacturers. We spent almost 15 minutes discussing the problem, possible solutions, and the gas system, including whether alternate gas blocks would overgas the gas return.
    Ever thought of buying a tool (like the hornady tool) so you can actually measure headspace yourself on this build and any other rifles you may want to measure?

The Hornady tool is not expensive and it is not hard to do... A shit ton easier than sending it off for someone else to measure...

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Ever thought of buying a tool (like the hornady tool) so you can actually measure headspace yourself on this build and any other rifles you may want to measure?

The Hornady tool is not expensive and it is not hard to do... A shit ton easier than sending it off for someone else to measure...
    Which Hornady tool are you referring to?

Returning the barrel to Odin is a great path forward.

I am looking forward to a second range report. I am guessing that functionality will be corrected after Odin returns the barrel and bolt.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    DG23: I am only familiar (just barely) with the Hornady headspace tools that check case sizes. Can you be more specific?

Andy: I did that write up because (1) there seemed to be a dearth of information on Odin Works ("OW") barrels and their tunable gas blocks, and (2) the headspace gauge problem seemed important enough to publish (i.e., if someone came along and told me I was a complete idiot, I would pay attention). This also offered an opportunity to document Odin Works response to the problem. Thus far I have been impressed by their response to my plea. I only wish that their QC department had caught this first.

My plan after getting a barrel back will be to redo this test, and, to try the Odin Works barrel with a "standard" gas block to see how that works. I usually use BCM blocks. According to the OW rep, their gas ports are not out of proportion with industry standards. I had to cut the call short and unfortunately did not have an opportunity to ask the dimensions of the port.

After that, it goes into the line for optic selection, accuracy tests, and then the upper gets general assessment for handling, weight with accessories, etc., as part of the 90% rifle project. I have two more uppers in parts that I could work on, and perhaps a third, so I am oversupplied with assembly tasks.

By the way, the whole "90%" project is built around this notion: what would you give up, change, or substitute, on conventional "M4-gery" type carbines to achieve good performance with a lighter package? This is not a "project featherweight" exercise. I began to notice the carbines with LPVOs (pegged to the highest magnification) and red dots, and Steiner dBals or MAWLs, and lights, and pressure switches ... that weighed between 9 and 10 lbs. I thought, there has to be a better way, especially for the civilian looking for a useful carbine with multiple capabilities without a lot of marginal accessories. At first I was going to try to incorporate NV stuff, but discovered that including IR illuminators and the like became a bit like 3-dimensional chess because of all the non-rifle mounting points available (e.g., the helmet or skullcrusher, the NVGs themselves, handheld). That will have to wait for another day, if I live that long.

I think my biggest problem will be to make the case that you don't "need" a 8x or 10x scope to have a carbine that is useful at carbine ranges. I want to create a setup that will have most of the useful toys and versatility that weighs 7-7.5 lbs., and doesn't break the bank.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    DG23: I am only familiar (just barely) with the Hornady headspace tools that check case sizes. Can you be more specific?

Andy: I did that write up because (1) there seemed to be a dearth of information on Odin Works ("OW") barrels and their tunable gas blocks, and (2) the headspace gauge problem seemed important enough to publish (i.e., if someone came along and told me I was a complete idiot, I would pay attention). This also offered an opportunity to document Odin Works response to the problem. Thus far I have been impressed by their response to my plea. I only wish that their QC department had caught this first.

My plan after getting a barrel back will be to redo this test, and, to try the Odin Works barrel with a "standard" gas block to see how that works. I usually use BCM blocks. According to the OW rep, their gas ports are not out of proportion with industry standards. I had to cut the call short and unfortunately did not have an opportunity to ask the dimensions of the port.

After that, it goes into the line for optic selection, accuracy tests, and then the upper gets general assessment for handling, weight with accessories, etc., as part of the 90% rifle project. I have two more uppers in parts that I could work on, and perhaps a third, so I am oversupplied with assembly tasks.

By the way, the whole "90%" project is built around this notion: what would you give up, change, or substitute, on conventional "M4-gery" type carbines to achieve good performance with a lighter package? This is not a "project featherweight" exercise. I began to notice the carbines with LPVOs (pegged to the highest magnification) and red dots, and Steiner dBals or MAWLs, and lights, and pressure switches ... that weighed between 9 and 10 lbs. I thought, there has to be a better way, especially for the civilian looking for a useful carbine with multiple capabilities without a lot of marginal accessories. At first I was going to try to incorporate NV stuff, but discovered that including IR illuminators and the like became a bit like 3-dimensional chess because of all the non-rifle mounting points available (e.g., the helmet or skullcrusher, the NVGs themselves, handheld). That will have to wait for another day, if I live that long.

I think my biggest problem will be to make the case that you don't "need" a 8x or 10x scope to have a carbine that is useful at carbine ranges. I want to create a setup that will have most of the useful toys and versatility that weighs 7-7.5 lbs., and doesn't break the bank.
    I am very much interested to see your final setup. I have a fairly simply 16" carbine with a BRT light optimum (tapered) barrel and a Trijicon 1-4 Accupoint optic and it is 7lbs 12 oz. That is sans light and sling though - it would be over 9 lbs with them and a 30 rd magazine.

I was and am tempted by the ACOGs because they seem the best answer to a lightweight magnified optic and I feel a general purpose carbine needs some magnification. About 8 ounces lighter than my accupoint+mount but not cheap.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-21-23 at 11:02.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I am very much interested to see your final setup. I have a fairly simply 16" carbine with a BRT light optimum (tapered) barrel and a Trijicon 1-4 Accupoint optic and it is 7lbs 12 oz. That is sans light and sling though - it would be over 9 lbs with them and a 30 rd magazine.

I was and am tempted by the ACOGs because they seem the best answer to a lightweight magnified optic and I feel a general purpose carbine needs some magnification. About 8 ounces lighter than my accupoint+mount but not cheap.

Andy
    Andy:

I really liked my Accupoint TR24 (with the triangle reticle), but swapped it for an ACOG.

I think you are on to the same conclusion I have reached: for weight reduction, durability, and general ease of use, the prismatic scopes (like the ACOG) are much better than virtually all LPVOs. You can put an ACOG TA31 (4x) AND a RMR on an offset mount on a carbine and still weigh less than most LPVOs with mounts by at least 8 oz. Transitions from one sight to another are much faster than changing magnification on a LPVO, and you don't have to take a hand off the firearm to do it. The boss mounts on the ACOGs (for mounting a red dot on top of the ACOG) are not a particularly good idea. (Been there, done that, have all those mounts in a box.)

People can quibble about this and call this generalization into question, but, as a general statement, it is true. Until someone writes a treatise on the subject, and it might be me, the way I'm going, the above is a good benchmark.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    I fully understand the idea of a "no go" gauge and the need to use one in order to avoid excessive head space, but any reason one cannot use a factory 556 round in place of a "go" gauge? Firing pin out of bolt of course, as well as ejector.

Mark
    No need to remove the firing pin to prevent it from being able to reach a live primer in an assembled and installed carrier.

I DO like reading about dummies leaving that thing out for 'safety' and then having their stuff get 'stuck'. Those threads are priceless!

(.028 to .036)
    Last edited by DG23; 01-21-23 at 12:58.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    DG23:

Sorry, the weekend overtook me and I lost track of this. What am I looking at in this picture? So, that's a washer and a piece of black rubber-like material?

Feedback Score
    DG23:

Sorry, the weekend overtook me and I lost track of this. What am I looking at in this picture? So, that's a washer and a piece of black rubber-like material?
    That is the tail of the bolt.

Apologize for not providing more pictures so it was more clear. Did not notice until you mentioned it...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    UPDATE:

I sent the Odin Works barrel back to the factory (1/24) for inspection, etc. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I ordered a Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel, light profile, nitrided, chrome-moly, 1/7 twist (Performance series). I thought about getting BA's SS version, 1/8 twist (Premium series), but it occurred to me that I have three lightweight SS barrels in this test, and another fluted barrel, while I have only two that are made from more traditional, harder materials.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    UPDATE:

Odin Works sent me an email stating that they had honed the chamber 'a bit', checked for headspace with my bolt (LMT), and checked for feeding, firing and extraction. It is on its way back to me.

Prior to sending it to them, I asked if they wanted it clean or "as is". They asked for it to be clean because it would ease the process of determining any problems. I don't blame them; I can imagine the state of barrels that get returned.

Altogether, their customer service has been first rate. Transit via UPS to and from their facility takes about a week, on their dime. But, to state the obvious, I would rather not have involved their CS department at all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast