Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Odin Works Ultralight 16" .223 Wylde barrel: quick function report

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's cool they are taking care of it.

Are you using the 1.4646" 5.56 go gauge?
    On my WC .223W it will not close on a 1.4646" but does close on a 1.4636" (several bolts used)
    The Faxon barrel I had in .223W was the same way.

The only 5.56 NATO marked barrels I have that close on a Colt spec go gauge are FN.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by One More Time View Post
    That's cool they are taking care of it.

Are you using the 1.4646" 5.56 go gauge?
    On my WC .223W it will not close on a 1.4646" but does close on a 1.4636" (several bolts used)
    The Faxon barrel I had in .223W was the same way.

The only 5.56 NATO marked barrels I have that close on a Colt spec go gauge are FN.
    To answer your question: I used a Clymer set for "5.56 NATO". Go=1.4636" Nogo=1.4696"

In what was a real PIA, I tried like hell to find a combo that would work. I used bolts by Brownells, LMT, BCM, and Colt. The damn thing just wouldn't close. But, I was fairly certain that the problem was "borderline" and, as long as I checked for proper feeding, ejection, and to ensure the system was in battery, I could safely test the gas system. Initially, function was OK. As I outlined above, the tight chamber appeared to get more constraining as I used it, with the accumulation of "gun gunk" (i.e., burned and unburned powder, metal shavings, lube) and heat expansion in the parts affected. In other words, it started to get real hard to pull a live cartridge out of the chamber after about 20 rounds. It was past time to call the manufacturer.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Another quick update: the barrel and BCG arrived back from Odin Works on 2/15. It is the same barrel I sent, but I haven't had a chance to check it out. The BCG and bolt came back in a nice clamshell wrapper. Due to circumstances entirely within my control, I may not be able to get this assembled for another month. This barrel and its upper are now at the end of the project list, behind two other SS barrels and a nitride Ballistic Advantage.

With luck, and the cooperation of the volcano gods, I'll be back on this by mid-March.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A 5.56 chamber gauge is NOT the correct gauge for checking 223 Wylde chambers.

To adjust a gas block, place a single round in a magazine and perform a lock back check. Close the gas until the round ids ejected but the BCG does not lock back. Then, open the gas until the round is ejected and the BCG locks back.

Replace the extractor spring with a Colt extractor spring before performing the lock back check. A weak extractor spring will exhibit weak ejection. Yes, the extractor spring impacts ejection.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123