Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worn out Gas Tubes

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Worn out Gas Tubes

I think I've stumbled upon my 3rd worn out gas tube. By worn out I mean on the carrier key end where there's a larger diameter band that seals in the carrier key.

A few years back I had two mid-length BCM tubes that wore down on that area to the point where the gas leakage cause soft/short stroking. I have a BCM SOCOM Carbine factory upper that's several years old. It has always been excessively soft on bolt speed/cycling, but I could never figure out why. I even dropped down to a carbine H2 buffer system from the A5 Vltor to improve cycling.

Yesterday I went to clean this gun (which I recently started shooting more often) and noticed the gas tube has no visible step up in diameter on the end that sticks into the gas key.

This would be my 3rd BCM gas tube from 5+ years ago that has failed prematurely. None of these had excessive firing schedules at all.

(Anyone know who has Colt carbine gas tubes in stock?) Brownells and Arms Unlimited are out of stock.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yeah, there isn't much Colt stock anywhere right now. Sorry I can't help you, but as a potential alternative, you might give a Wilson Combat gas tube a shot.

In case you didn't know, there is a guage for that measurement, if you're at all curious.

Mark Brown Custom Gas Tube Gauge

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm interested in pulling the tube an measuring it, but I don't want to be stuck with no replacement for months. The gun does run good, but the tube finally explains the sluggish bolt speed I'd noticed for years.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm interested in pulling the tube an measuring it, but I don't want to be stuck with no replacement for months. The gun does run good, but the tube finally explains the sluggish bolt speed I'd noticed for years.
    That guage allows you to measure it in the upper Mark. I check mine every time I clean them. I'm guessing this is more of a thing than most of us realize, otherwise that gauge woudln't exist. Interesting you posted your observations on this topic.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 10-16-23 at 11:25.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm too cheap to buy the gauge, but I could see it being handy. Usually I look for that shiny band around the tube where no fouling has accumulated... just a rough visual check.

Someone posted the diameter measurements here years ago.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Maybe the inside of the gas key is rough? Maybe a nitrided tube would last longer?
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Hey Mark,

Replacement tubes are here:
    https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/Gas-System-c6464008
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Maybe the inside of the gas key is rough? Maybe a nitrided tube would last longer?
    Either that, a tight inner diameter, or a slight misalignment would be my guesses. @markm, you could check for misalignment by sliding the BCG onto the gas tube (with the upper off the lower) and see if you see or feel any significant difference is resistance compared to other uppers. If it turns out to be the gas key, you could either get the carrier rekeyed, or use one the carriers off your spare BCGs.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good points above, if you have a set of pin gauges, you can check the inside diameter of your gas key.

G = .180
    Y = .181
    R = .182

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Nitrided tubes do last longer here, and would be something I'd look at for sure.

Going though several tubes sounds gas key related, likely alignment but who knows.

To check strip the carrier down and slide it back and forth to check to contact with the tube... if it's strong and moves the tube at all you've got an issue and you should bend it a little. Hold the upper muzzle down and drop the empty carrier and make sure it bounces (doesn't work assembled with the bolt in).
    SOLGW Deputy Director of Sales

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast