Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk about narcissism

Feedback Score

Let’s talk about narcissism

Who here gets this, or been through it? I’m in the middle of a bloody divorce. 5 kids involved.

I started talking with a pro psychologist in July and he said something that changed my life. He said “she’s gaslighting you man.”

I didn’t think anything of it the day, but a few days later my life changed. Did a simple google search and then all of a sudden the last 12 years of my life unraveled.

My pending ex is a covert or malignant narcissistic sociopath and has been living different lives with every person she was ever involved.

Just trying to keep my kids safe from her manipulation…. Anyone here got a tip or two to relate to this nightmare?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Been through it, survived it. My suggestions as follows:

1. Your life is hard right now. It will get harder, and the hard times will last for a few years. Accept it. But also know that this period is temporary, it will pass, and your life will improve, dramatically.

2. Take stock of your finances and cut back hard, right now. It's austerity time: subscriptions, guns, off-road toys, whatever you have: sell, sell, sell. You're going to need zero debt and a large cash reserve to see you through to the other side.

3. Do NOT self-medicate: NO booze, NO drugs, NO naked girls. You're going to have some bad days, really dark days. Don't make things worse by trying to mask the negative feelings. Take the pain, knowing it WILL pass.

Please PM if needed, I will respond.

Hang in there, brother, and hang on: You're gonna make it.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yes. There are "wives" out there that fit your description. I had one and went through similar.
    At risk of sounding like a Dork; I remained true to myself, did the "right thing(s)" and got through it, even was given custody of kid.
    Bunch is correct.
    You can always get "more stuff".

Hang
    Fukking
    Tough
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    To echo buncheong... it's a tough path but once you've unloaded this piece of shit and taken a few years to rebuild, it will be great.

WTF does gaslighting mean by the way?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eightmillimeter View Post
    Who here gets this, or been through it? I’m in the middle of a bloody divorce. 5 kids involved.

I started talking with a pro psychologist in July and he said something that changed my life. He said “she’s gaslighting you man.”

I didn’t think anything of it the day, but a few days later my life changed. Did a simple google search and then all of a sudden the last 12 years of my life unraveled.

My pending ex is a covert or malignant narcissistic sociopath and has been living different lives with every person she was ever involved.

Just trying to keep my kids safe from her manipulation…. Anyone here got a tip or two to relate to this nightmare?
    Been through it and you have to think of the kids, not yourself first. I wasn't dealing with a sociopath, so not sure what is best for the kids in that scenario. Generally, it is better the parents act like adults and not stab the other in the back whenever the kids are around, no matter how bad things get.

Remember, as hard as it is on you, it is even harder on the kids who don't understand everything happening.

I too echo everything Bunchie advised already.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 01-22-23 at 09:40.

Feedback Score
    Don't Google "how do you stop a body from decomposing" like that guy from Massachusetts with the missing wife.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post

WTF does gaslighting mean by the way?
    "Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse in which a person or group causes someone to question their own sanity, memories, or perception of reality. People who experience gaslighting may feel confused, anxious, or as though they cannot trust themselves."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/gaslighting

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    "Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse in which a person or group causes someone to question their own sanity, memories, or perception of reality. People who experience gaslighting may feel confused, anxious, or as though they cannot trust themselves."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/gaslighting
    Thank you

Andy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Good advice here already. In tough/dark times, speaking with psych pro can be not just helpful, but essential. Buddy of mine going through similar after walking in on her banging the trainer she'd asked for...

I don't have experience as it applies to ex narcissism, plenty in other areas, both parents were toxic narcissists. Neither were bad/evil people, just F-ed in the head.

Remember that you love your kids more than you hate her/each other under all circumstances. Try to get her to see/agree same and move forward based on that premise. It's very easy to go down an ugly direction, and never forget, lawyers make $ when you fight. I come from a family full of lawyers.

You may have to eat some chit that tastes really bad that is ultimately best for your kids.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Blah, blah, blah. Let’s talk about me,
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast