Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint RDS + Magnifier experience

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Aimpoint RDS + Magnifier experience

I have an Eotech-esque optic that has a super clear reticle through my Vortex Micro6X. However…. I’d like to shave some ounces off. I haven’t had an Aimpoint for a few years, since the Trijicon MRO has worked well for me. However, the MRO with a magnifier is not a “dot,” as I think is the also the case with the Aimpoint T-1.
    The RDS is what I’m thinking about purchasing. Anyone able to confirm performance with a magnifier?
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have a magnifier inbound this week. This is our first pass at this. Interested in the replies as we may try it behind a few sights.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've got a few old German magnifiers I bought years ago for cheap. Swarovski 2.5 maybe? Got one on a flip to side mount on my 5.45 ar behind either an aimpoint h1 or r1 I painted black. Works great. Should have bought more at the time.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a rifle with a CompM5 + Aimpoint 3x magnifier and a rifle with a T2 + Aimpoint 3x magnifier. Both magnifiers are mounted on a Scalarworks flip-mount (which are incredibly well engineered and built). I absolutely love these set-ups. I was sad to discover that T1’s don’t work with magnifiers owing to the older emitter style causing the magnified dot to turn in a long angled line.
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

O•MARS•CORROBORA•ME•VT•PVGNARE•PERGAM

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Our shoot last weekend was luke warm as far as this magnifier stuff goes. The increased visibility of the target is nice, but on the Aimpoints, the double image of the dot is fukking annoying. If you get out to 500 yards, you can't tell which dot to use, and you start missing on wind. Is it the wind, or should I switch to the other dot in the magnifier?

It's hard to tell at 100 which dot is zero because they're touching... i.e. no gap between them. It would take some refining to figure out the correct dot to use at longer range.

The Eotech, on the other hand, has the reticle improved with the magnifier.

Overall, I don't feel that hit probability at 500 yard was improved at all. I can spin up irons and shoot every bit as well, if not better. It's just that I can't see the target as clearly with no magnification.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I had a G33 behind a T2 or a Comp M5, no issues with the quality of the magnifier but after a lot of back and forth I sold the G33 and moved on. In the rain it becomes a lot of wet lenses to look through, and I didn't find the 3x benefit to be worth the weight. I know it flips aside which I never got used to, or QDs on and off, but I'm old and tired and like my shit simple.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncas47 View Post
    and I didn't find the 3x benefit to be worth the weight.
    That's what I'm starting to think. We didn't even get the magnifier back out this weekend which it kind of telling. It was pretty unremarkable, but we need to shoot it some more to see if we can make it more valuable.

Feedback Score
    I live in open country, and have a 500 yd range to practice on, alone. I zero a 2 moa dot at 36/300, and I'm used to pushing it downrange so I have a lot of confidence in getting solid hits. If I wanted more, I personally would go to an LPVO before adding a 3x brick to the back end of my carbine. I just prefer a simple setup and shoot it enough to trust it.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here's a crappy pic that sort of captures the doubling of the Dot. Dot is aimed between the 400 and 500 yard targets.

I figured out to use the upper/right part of the dot for aiming. This illustrates the lack of a precise aiming point at distance though...

Last edited by markm; 02-20-23 at 09:11.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast