Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aimpoint RDS + Magnifier experience

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    That’s why. Any RDS will grow in size where as a holographic will not, but that’s the micro V1 series major downfall.
    Eh... sorta, but not really, at least to my understanding. The RDS dot is perceived to be larger with a magnifier because the dot is actually 2 MOA or 1 MOA or whatever. The EOTech center point appears the same size to the naked eye with or without the magnifier (so, 1 MOA without a magnifier, and 1/3rd MOA with a 3× magnifier), because the center point isn't actually 1 MOA, it's significantly smaller, it's just perceived by the human eye as such because of how most of eyes work. So really, it's more of a trick of the eye, though for practical purposes, it does make the EOTech a much better option than an RDS to use with a magnifier if you really want that fine aiming point (my T-2 and CompM5 are great under my Aimpoint 3XMag-1, FWIW, arguably better than my EXPS3-2, IMO, because the EOTech center dot becomes a bit of a comma with my eyes).

So there's this idea floating around out there, thanks to an old video from one of our friends in the industry who also makes holographic sights, that when you put a 3x (or any "X") magnifier up behind a red dot, it makes the dot 3x bigger in relation to the target, whereas a holographic sight's reticle magically stays the exact same size when a magnifier is engaged behind it. This is maybe 1/3 true.

The 1/3 that's true is that flipping a 3x magnifier up behind a red dot does make the dot 3x bigger, it also makes the image 3x bigger at the exact same time. Thus, the net effect is that the dot, in relation to the image, is the exact same size as it was before you engaged the magnifier. If it's a 2 MOA red dot, it's 2 MOA regardless of whether you have the magnifier up or down.

When you flip a magnifier up behind a holographic sight - the exact same thing happens. There is no magic and no way the holographic sight can defy physics and somehow not become magnified. Besides - you actually want the reticle to magnify, because if it didn't, then all the sudden it would be 1/3 the size in relation to the image as it was before the magnifier got flipped up, so any MOA values you had before would have to be 1/3erded, which would be annoying.

TL:DR - Neither red dots nor holographic sights can defy physics. The magnifier magnifies EVERYTHING including the image and the reticle, so the net effect is no change. Still the exact same reticle size.

- Vortex

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/VortexAnswe...igger_but_not/
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The pic doesn't capture the exact effect that I see. (and it's worse with other sights.. Romeo for example) It's like a double image of the dot.. a reflection or something where there's a second dot low and left of the actual POI.

At about 400 to 500 yards I just lack the precise aiming that my brain wants to see.
    This is one area where the top tier red dots definitely perform better than the budget options. The Aimpoint T2 and Comp M5 series dots are specifically improved to work better with magnifiers. I'm sure there is a performance gap between magnifiers as well, but I only have experience with the two newer Aimpoint models.

With my Aimpoint 3xmag-1 and T2 I see a perfect round dot. It probably still isn't the best choice if ultra precision at 500 yards is your overall goal since at that distance the dot covers approximately 10 inches, but I wouldn't write off the entire concept based on what you see from budget/old technology.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    The Aimpoint T2 and Comp M5 series dots are specifically improved to work better with magnifiers.
    I didn't know that. Pushing out to 500 is a little outside of the realistic use probably, and it's not HORRIBLE, but a single dot would make aiming a little more precise.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Even with corrective lenses, using an RDS is too problematic for me due to astigmatism issues . There are some RDS that give me a better dot image than others and some magnifiers can even clear up the image to varying degrees, but I don't really view an RDS as the proper tool to use for anything other than close or very limited moderate range shooting.

Something that I have found very useful for both close and moderate range shooting is using either a 2x or 3x prism or a 1x prism with a flip to side magnifier setup. The reticle in a prism is much better for me than an RDS image wise as the dot or reticle looks like it should instead of a distorted blob or starburst. I used an EOTech for several years and it was fine for what I needed it for (close range/fast target acquisition/solid target hits) even though what I saw through the EOTech was a fuzzy dot and fuzzy circle.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    For their small weight penalty, I think they’re great for a gun that’s main job is likely to involve mostly close shots, but might need to do other things also. Smaller targets, zeroing, observation, closeish-medium range targets, aging eyes, etc. I use them with QDs. On the 5.56 gun, it mostly lives on there. On the 9mm, its pretty optional for what I do with that gun.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Magnifiers follow the operational rule of thumb of 1x per 100Ms. Inside 300Ms they definitely help engage and target PID successfully. They also increase low percentage shots hit probability over just a non magnified red dot. If your operational umbrella is potentially beyond 250 or 300 yds, then definitely look at a LPVO or other optic that can scale correctly to that environment. I did find that a magnifier did help with my percentage hit rate at greater distances than un magnified however. I suffer from a bad astigmatism, so a magnifier actually helps clean my dot up a ton.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123