Thread: Interesting ACOG accessory...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Interesting ACOG accessory...

Anyone seen this? > https://m1bullpup.com/product/rem-acog/

Kinda makes the tritium aspect of the ACOG even more pointless than it already was.

Apparently the first batch is only compatible with the TA51 mount, but can be modified for other mounts on request as has been discussed in a thread over on TOS.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 01-24-23 at 22:28.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    Anyone seen this? > https://m1bullpup.com/product/rem-acog/

Kinda makes the tritium aspect of the ACOG even more pointless than it already was.

Apparently the first batch is only compatible with the TA51 mount, but can be modified for other mounts on request as has been dicussed on a thread over on TOS.
    I think that I will get one to try out.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    The whole point of going with an ACOG in the first place is the ability to be battery-free... (low-to-no light for @ 5 years, and daylight use forever)

I think I'll just stick to using my ACOGs as intended. Besides, if I absolutely must use the ACOG at full on night, I'll be using NODs anyway, so for me it's pretty much this "accessory" that's pointless.

MA2
    ,——'¯¯';=====±—-
    !‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶
    One is just never enough...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MA2_Navy_Veteran View Post
    The whole point of going with an ACOG in the first place is the ability to be battery-free... (low-to-no light for @ 5 years, and daylight use forever)

I think I'll just stick to using my ACOGs as intended. Besides, if I absolutely must use the ACOG at full on night, I'll be using NODs anyway, so for me it's pretty much this "accessory" that's pointless.

MA2
    Though I agree with that, this doesn't eliminate the fiber optic or the tritium. It basically turns an ACOG into a 3 in one optic with battery power, fiber optic and tritium. I think this would come in handy mostly from looking out from a darker area into a bright one.

I believe I've read more than a few times that people would like to have the fiber optic along with the battery powered ACOGs and this is basically an easy way to get that.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 01-24-23 at 16:45.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556Cliff View Post
    I think this would come in handy mostly from looking out from a darker area into a bright one.
    But ACOGs don't need enhancement for that kind of situation. Unlike a red dot sight, the ACOG reticle naturally appears darker when viewed over a bright background or target.
    ,——'¯¯';=====±—-
    !‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶
    One is just never enough...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MA2_Navy_Veteran View Post
    But ACOGs don't need enhancement for that kind of situation. Unlike a red dot sight, the ACOG reticle naturally appears darker when viewed over a bright background or target.
    True, but only if you're looking out from a nearly completely dark area out into a bright area. I've had the reticle be somewhat lit up in some rooms that weren't all the way dark which actually made the reticle blend into some things when looking out into a brighter area, making the reticle harder to pick up. Of course, that is easily fixed by taping over the fiber optic to take the reticle all the way to black.

Lol! Seems like you're making me talk myself out of it. However, I believe it would be easier to adjust an illumination dial on the fly than it would be to mess around with electrical tape to cover the fiber optic.

Only other justification I can think of is if you are actually forced into a position where you are trying to make the Bindon aiming concept work in an indoor setting with varying lighting throughout a building. In that case you'd probably just want to turn the brightness all the way up.

That said, I don't use my ACOG like that, so it's all kinda lost on me. I use it as an outdoors day scope at most and I'd choose other options for night and CQB type stuff.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 01-24-23 at 21:22.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I actually built something like this for my sons DI rmr…and scrapped it because it didn’t work well for DI rmr. It worked great on the cog, but the rmr doesn’t have the same light gathering capability as a cog. It would have had to have been much brighter to work, and in turn would have been hard to hide the signature.
    I didn’t see the need to use it on the cog, so it’s sitting in the parts bin.
    Last edited by camoman; 01-27-23 at 08:55.