Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting ACOG accessory...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    If you regularly shoot in diminished light, the tritium might be nice, but for me? I'd never really appreciate it. I poked my COG out the window at sunset a few months ago, and did see that the tritium was helpful in a small part of the day.
    I've found the tritium quite useless. The only time I've ever seen it light up the reticle is when I've gone into a completely dark room, but in that case the very dim reticle is the only thing you can see through the scope. With the fiber optic models that I have, if there's any light outside (just before dark) the tritium illumination is still overpowered by the light gathered by the fiber optic. Again I suppose I could tape over the fiber optic so the tritium has a chance to shine, but the fiber optic is better than the tritium in the just before dark scenario.

On the ACOGs without the fiber optic like you have, I could see the tritium being more useful since the fiber optic isn't there to overpower it in the lighting conditions where it might be useful.

But, like most people I don't shoot much in diminishing lighting conditions, so the tritium might only come into play in some weird situation I can't really anticipate. Though by then the tritium in my ACOGs will probably have lost it's charge anyways. Heck, my first ACOG's tritium is probably already un-seeable at this point... It's just not something that I keep tabs on.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 01-25-23 at 08:27.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    I can see this as an option on an older ACOG that has tritium that no longer works. Last I heard, Trijicon charges $500 to replace the tritium.
    I had tritium replaced on two TA-33's 18 months ago for $266 each and that hurt. I think this is an excellent idea if it is a quality and reliable unit, not sure what you are getting for the money. Actually I am pretty sure of what you are getting for the money, this looks like something you would order out of the back of a comic book back in the day. I would like to see a quality mfg produce a unit to fulfill this function. Even Trijicon is producing more battery powered units now days, a lot cheaper to feed it batteries than pay for a tritium recharge. Heck even the Trijicon VCOG 1-8 Marine Corps Squad Common Optic uses a battery.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 01-25-23 at 08:36.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    No water or dust resistance is listed. Hrm.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    No water or dust resistance is listed. Hrm.
    First thought I had when I saw you mention that was "well that's a deal breaker". But is it really? If water or dust causes this thing to stop working it doesn't take the ACOG along with it. Worst case scenario is your fiber optic is a bit dimmer (full power is usually too bright most of the time anyways) and your ACOG will weigh a bit more for no reason... Not going to say that if a little bit of rain takes it out that it doesn't suck though. It would certainly need to be improved if it can't handle that.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    It's too bad they didn't put a PV sensor on the front of the housing thats aligned with the optic, would have given you a tri power with Browe capability.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    It's too bad they didn't put a PV sensor on the front of the housing thats aligned with the optic, would have given you a tri power with Browe capability.
    That would certainly take it out of the $50 price range. Would be neat though.

Feedback Score
    Got mine...

TOS link. > https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Ac...777522/?page=1

One thing I wanted to note here after looking through my TA31H-G (purchased new in 2010 or 2011 if I recall) in the dark yesterday is that the tritium is still working great. I was surprised by that... I really thought it would have dimmed down by now.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 01-27-23 at 10:19.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I actually built something like this for my sons DI rmr…and scrapped it because it didn’t work well for DI rmr. It worked great on the cog, but the rmr doesn’t have the same light gathering capability as a cog. It would have had to have been much brighter to work, and in turn would have been hard to hide the signature.
    I didn’t see the need to use it on the cog, so it’s sitting in the parts bin.
    Last edited by camoman; 01-27-23 at 08:55.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12