Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CHF Chrome Lined Lo-Pro Gas Block Barrel 5.56: 14.5 SKINNY Barrel - Pros / Cons

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Question CHF Chrome Lined Lo-Pro Gas Block Barrel 5.56: 14.5 SKINNY Barrel - Pros / Cons

Noveske is out of the regular Afghan 14.5 but they DO have the SKINNY Afghan 14.5.

Can somebody tell me the Pros and Cons of the skinny?

It saves about 5 ounces.

Do you think it will last about as long as the regular Afghan that is thicker?

No more than 3 mag dumps before a long break.

How about compared to the Stainless?

https://noveske.com/products/chf-chr...spaced-bolt=No
    (See drop down menu)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Pencil barrels are great for handling and carrying but if you are going to shoot alot of rounds through it or train with it alot you are going to be taking a hit on long term barrel life. Barrel gets hotter faster = more/faster throat erosion which is what kills your barrel sooner.

Stainless = greater accuracy potential but doesnt last as long, stainless steels are less resistant to throat erosion and heat even worse than a chrome lined pencil barrel.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Pencil barrels are great for handling and carrying but if you are going to shoot alot of rounds through it or train with it alot you are going to be taking a hit on long term barrel life...
    Pencil = Government profile where it matters for heat and strength. People rarely say the things about an M4 profile barrel that are commonly said about pencil barrels.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    These uppers are all going in storage anyway.

I'd say for the rest of my life I wont shoot more than 20,000 rounds as I don't train as much as when I was younger.

I have 10,000 on my current Noveske that I don't want to give up. 10,000 more on that and 10,000 more on they next one and I'll be in assisted living (no guns allowed).

I just want the most awesome barrel under the current retail conditions.

I don't need accuracy so don't need stainless.

I think I'll be happy with the Skinny Profile.

I DO look forward to MORE COMMENTS!!!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Pencil = Government profile where it matters for heat and strength. People rarely say the things about an M4 profile barrel that are commonly said about pencil barrels.
    True, though I don't really know what the barrel life differences are between pencil and gov't profile. Theoretically the extra mass on the forward end of gov't profile should help absorb some of that heat but how much it helps keep things cool at the chamber end I don't really know. Maybe someone like Lysander and expand on this.

For example we do know that the thicker SOCOM profile barrels were adopted specifically for barrel life longevity over gov't profile but not sure where pencil profile play into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
    These uppers are all going in storage anyway.

I'd say for the rest of my life I wont shoot more than 20,000 rounds as I don't train as much as when I was younger.

I have 10,000 on my current Noveske that I don't want to give up. 10,000 more on that and 10,000 more on they next one and I'll be in assisted living (no guns allowed).

I DO look forward to MORE COMMENTS!!!
    Well then enjoy the advantages of having a very nice handling lighter AR. Id make the same choice if I knew I wasnt going to be hard on the barrel.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-24-23 at 22:16.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Noveske has never been the most awesome barrel. Even prior to JN's passing. I've shot several and none of them impressed me. They weren't BAD, but not worth premium money.

Have you thought about the BCM 14.5 ELW? That profile is low weight, but tapered from the chamber down. I run one, and it heats up faster than a fat barrel, but it also cools down faster too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Noveske is out of the regular Afghan 14.5 but they DO have the SKINNY Afghan 14.5.

Can somebody tell me the Pros and Cons of the skinny?

It saves about 5 ounces.

Do you think it will last about as long as the regular Afghan that is thicker?

No more than 3 mag dumps before a long break.

How about compared to the Stainless?

https://noveske.com/products/chf-chr...spaced-bolt=No
    (See drop down menu)

Unless you plan to run it full auto then it will be fine. It will take semi auto mag dumps with no issues. The life will be very long. And by life I mean the pattern my open up to larger then 2 MOA (the starting point for MANY brands) after 25k rounds.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    I have a Noveske Skinny MOE rifle that shoots fantastic with 70 TSX and 77 Nosler's. Would buy again no question. 1.5" moa ish. Semi auto mag dumps don't happen with the copper, but with 77's its not to noticeable.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    For example we do know that the thicker SOCOM profile barrels were adopted specifically for barrel life longevity over gov't profile but not sure where pencil profile play into this.
    The SOCOM was actually done for more FA until barrel failure, not service life.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The SOCOM was actually done for more FA until barrel failure, not service life.
    I thought that too until I saw the 9-holes SOCOM barrel video where they brought up the fact that the gas tube would blow at the same time under full auto regardless of barrel profile. Never thought about that before.
    Then backed by Jeff Gurwhich stated that the Crane briefings on the Block II barrel was about durability and service life. Strange choice since SOCOM has more maintainers and money you would think they rather have the operator carry a lighter rifle and just replace worn barrels but I guess even Crane wants to save money on parts.

Starts at 17:00

Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-25-23 at 14:10.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast