Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CHF Chrome Lined Lo-Pro Gas Block Barrel 5.56: 14.5 SKINNY Barrel - Pros / Cons

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Noveske Afghan stainless medium contour, in stock at Midway USA:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003469450?pid=887158

Primary Arms has them in stock as well:
    https://www.primaryarms.com/noveske-...rel-nv07000054

On the subject of SOCOM barrels, I came across a Luth AR branded M4 SOCOM barrel, I think on Primary Arms or Optics Planet. Anybody know who makes them for Luth AR?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Noveske Afghan stainless medium contour, in stock at Midway USA:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003469450?pid=887158

Primary Arms has them in stock as well:
    https://www.primaryarms.com/noveske-...rel-nv07000054

On the subject of SOCOM barrels, I came across a Luth AR branded M4 SOCOM barrel, I think on Primary Arms or Optics Planet. Anybody know who makes them for Luth AR?
    Thank You Hammer!

I don't want want SS though.

Only want CHF.

Just looking for positive affirmation for the CHF Skinny Profile vs. the regular kind.

I am a very particular person and have a lot of hangups when things are not as perfect as I want.

I'm just hoping I can live with this decision to get the Skinny Profile.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Noveske has never been the most awesome barrel. Even prior to JN's passing. I've shot several and none of them impressed me. They weren't BAD, but not worth premium money.

Have you thought about the BCM 14.5 ELW? That profile is low weight, but tapered from the chamber down. I run one, and it heats up faster than a fat barrel, but it also cools down faster too.
    I have two (one with the GB pinned by ADCO and the other by John Thomas; don't like set-screws). While I am far from an engineering expert, it seems like the most sound barrel profile. Heavier back where the heat is greatest, then gradually thinning out and making the weapon considerably less front-heavy.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    The SOCOM was actually done for more FA until barrel failure, not service life.
    Wasn't SOCOM already looking at the profile that carries their name for a bit before the battle at Wanat in 2008, which was what ultimately pushed "Big Army" onto the bandwagon? Please correct if wrong.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I thought that too until I saw the 9-holes SOCOM barrel video where they brought up the fact that the gas tube would blow at the same time under full auto regardless of barrel profile. Never thought about that before.
    Then backed by Jeff Gurwhich stated that the Crane briefings on the Block II barrel was about durability and service life. Strange choice since SOCOM has more maintainers and money you would think they rather have the operator carry a lighter rifle and just replace worn barrels but I guess even Crane wants to save money on parts.

Starts at 17:00

I think it's both or rather both benefits but the gas tube is the weak link in the system

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    also agree on the premium price of noveske barrels. Mine shot great but not worth the premium price as I found the differences to be immaterial

the worst barrels I've ever used were bcm to be honest, least accurate of all barrels I've used in pencil profile

Colts are great, the spikes pistol pencil barrel or whatever the heck they call it is lights out excellent. CA makes fantastic barrels but not really a pencil profile

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    the only skinny profile i’ve had was a faxon 16” and while they are light and handy, the accuracy really fell off after it warmed up.

gov profile seems to be a good compromise. light enough yet stiff enough.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    also agree on the premium price of noveske barrels. Mine shot great but not worth the premium price as I found the differences to be immaterial

the worst barrels I've ever used were bcm to be honest, least accurate of all barrels I've used in pencil profile

Colts are great, the spikes pistol pencil barrel or whatever the heck they call it is lights out excellent. CA makes fantastic barrels but not really a pencil profile
    They were on sale during Black Friday for like $360 which includes a pinned gas block and gas tube, for an FN made CHF barrel thats a steal.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    I'm surprised nobody has recommended the spikes optimum CHF barrels. Good profile, light, shoot very well, FN made. My 16" with pinned Geissele gas block shoots very well cold or hot.

I also don't think the skinny profile will be much of a problem with your max 3 mag dumps then a long break.
    Last edited by IALoder; 01-29-23 at 11:32.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I want a BCM ELW style barrel, but my last bcm was 4 moa.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast