Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Heads up Memphis and all of Tennessee, this is gonna be bad!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    They are expanding it.

https://wreg.com/news/mpd-unveils-ne...some-officers/

Sent from my SM-A125U using Tapatalk
    To a whopping TOTAL of 30 cars out of a 2k+ police force...

For a select few 'tenured' employees...

ok.

Feedback Score
    They are expanding it.

https://wreg.com/news/mpd-unveils-ne...some-officers/

Take home cars are not really a perk to the officer. They are a perk to the city and the citizens who live in that neighborhood. Because that who is really receiving the benefit. It’s the perception the neighborhood is safer because a neighbor is a police officer. They even say it in the article you linked. Yes, the officer saves on gas money. But at the expense of now advertising to everyone what they do for a living and the added risk of attention when they’re on their way home when they’re off. I’m sorry, but the trade off is not there simply for the fuel savings.

After a 12-14 hour shift I’m ready to go home. I don’t want or need people trying to flag me down on the way home because there’s a fender bender. Try doing that in a marked take home car. Not gonna happen.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    To a whopping TOTAL of 30 cars out of a 2k+ police force...

For a select few 'tenured' employees...

ok.
    The article mentioned others already in play.

It does surprise me that isn't more widespread in the department(and the "new beginning" seems to indicate more) considering that seems to be the case in many parts of KY and TN I am familiar with.

That doesn't change the fact the officers are making more than the average Memphis resident and any officer that gets a car is getting a fairly large benefit on top of that since that seems important to you.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    Take home cars are not really a perk to the officer. They are a perk to the city and the citizens who live in that neighborhood. Because that who is really receiving the benefit. It’s the perception the neighborhood is safer because a neighbor is a police officer. They even say it in the article you linked. Yes, the officer saves on gas money. But at the expense of now advertising to everyone what they do for a living and the added risk of attention when they’re on their way home when they’re off. I’m sorry, but the trade off is not there simply for the fuel savings.

After a 12-14 hour shift I’m ready to go home. I don’t want or need people trying to flag me down on the way home because there’s a fender bender. Try doing that in a marked take home car. Not gonna happen.
    Fuel, tires, and other maintenance.

Considering the police vehicle is a common source of stolen firearms the claim that the presence of a police vehicle prevents crime is laughable.

Last edited by jsbhike; 02-01-23 at 20:59.

Feedback Score

Considering the police vehicle is a common source of stolen firearms the claim that the presence of a police vehicle prevents crime is laughable.

You’re the one who linked the article where it states the benefits. Not me.

But add that up. Fuel, tires, and maintenance vs the ability to go straight home after a shift. It is a laughable comparison. Going straight home wins every time. But hold up on doing the math on the that. You use some pretty laughable calculations and who knows how you arrive at your answers.

Feedback Score

They said so in the article you linked to.

Did not see anything there about other cars.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You’re the one who linked the article where it states the benefits. Not me.

But add that up. Fuel, tires, and maintenance vs the ability to go straight home after a shift. It is a laughable comparison. Going straight home wins every time. But hold up on doing the math on the that. You use some pretty laughable calculations and who knows how you arrive at your answers.
    I linked the article because it mentioned the vehicle program and every article about the program made the crime prevention claim which is countered by police vehicles getting broken in to on a fairly regular basis.

Agencies up here have curtailed their take home vehicle programs at times(long before runaway inflation) which runs counter to the idea it isn't a large economic boost.

Are you meaning the math where I was given the hourly pay for Target and multiplied by 40 and 52 to get the yearly pay which was less than the lowest paid officer of the initial 5?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    They said so in the article you linked to.

Did not see anything there about other cars.
    And that is illogical because police get broken in to often.

"Although a few specialized MPD units have been able to take police vehicles home for certain assignments, Davis said this is the first time officers would formally be allowed to take home their vehicles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Double post
    Last edited by john armond; 02-02-23 at 07:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It’s not just a squad car that gets you noticed. I would have most of my uniform off going to and coming home from work in my personal car. I kept spare regular shirts in my car.
    Last edited by john armond; 02-02-23 at 06:35.

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast