Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A5 Buffer?

Feedback Score

A5 Buffer?

I was about to buy a buffer tube for my next build and I noticed that there is one called A5 compatible, or VLTOR A5 compatible. The other choice that I will probably buy is a regular carbine 6 position tube. What is are the differences? Is the A5 tube better? My rifle will have a 16" mid length gas system unsuppressed. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    The A5 is a whole system that uses the ar10 receiver extension length with a rifle spring and the a5 specific buffer. It’s an awesome system but your standard spring and buffer are not compatible.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Its very popular on this forum. I have a couple myself. The spring will last longer. I’m not personally convinced that any other benefits are real, unless you need an H4. If you are speaking of the BCM A5 compatible tube, it is well made and finished.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For mid and rifle length gas systems that have a proper sized gas port I use an A2 for fixed stocks or an A5 with an A5H2 buffer for telescoping stocks.

One mid gas has an oversized gas port that locked back with an A5H4.
    I fixed that with a BRT gas drive sized to run an A5H2.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I'm not going out of my way to replace the carbine RE on my factory built guns (did it once on a 6920) but if I'm building a gun for myself it has an A5 RE, Sprinco Green spring and an A5H2 buffer.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by One More Time View Post

One mid gas has an oversized gas port that locked back with an A5H4.
    I fixed that with a BRT gas drive sized to run an A5H2.
    I’m curious if you’ve checked to see if it’ll lock back with anything heavier than A5H2.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I’m curious if you’ve checked to see if it’ll lock back with anything heavier than A5H2.
    It won't cycle with the a5h4 or steel cased ammo now.
    To use steel case I had to use a carbine spring, buffer and a spacer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i use the A5 on any rifle length gas when using collapsing stocks. i ran into to cycling issues with carbine length buffer set ups but hat was long ago. when the A5 came out i just made the switch and didnt look back and i worked right next door to vltor at the time and eric was from the same neck of the woods as i was, before tucson. we kinda hit it off. he was a good dude.

i also use them on my short barrel suppressed uppers since they are so back pressured. it helps slow the carrier a bit i guess, with the longer spring travel.

i've never found them to be needed in a properly gassed mid or carbine.
    Last edited by mr h; 01-26-23 at 14:49.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by One More Time View Post
    It won't cycle with the a5h4 or steel cased ammo now.
    To use steel case I had to use a carbine spring, buffer and a spacer.
    Instead of a different spring and a spacer, you might be able to use an A5H0. I keep a carbine buffer and an A5H0 in my can of steel case for guns that won’t run it with its normal setup.

Just a thought. If you like it the way it is, drive on.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    over ported barrels can be a nightmare. hard on all the parts and not much fun to shoot. never heard of the BRT stuff (just looked) but maybe you could try a gas bleed off too.

those have worked from me on a couple over gassed items and suppressed ones too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast