Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does SAO trend go?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    1911s and 2011s aren’t SAO. They are single action.

To me, a design needs to also be available in DA/SA for there to be an SAO variant.
    1911 are sao by design. The 'o' may be obvious/redundant, but its not incorrect.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This thread is for all designs that are light and short enough to need a manual safety.

The trend line I’m observing doesn’t care if it’s the flood of Turk 1911’s, Beretta releasing the 92 SAO, the half dozen new 2011 types that are coming out, or Renegade04‘s sweet P226.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I had been wanting a Sig Legion P22x pistol for a while, and a couple years ago I bought a P226 SAO RXP. Amazing SAO trigger, made even more so with the addition of a Gray Guns double adjustable trigger, an Armory Craft hammer, and a Sig Armorer strut. Breaks right around 3 lbs., with about 2mm of total overtravel. I ended up increasing the overtravel a bit as it was so short that I was pushing the gun off target. Either way, certainly the best pistol trigger I have experienced, with a break rivaling my Geissele NM trigger in crispness.

I find the safety to be perfectly intuitive, and thoughtless to disengage when bringing to bear. Overall really happy with this gun, I ended up having it drilled for a RMR bolt spacing and installing a 508T. Not sure if it's entirely practical, but it's a pleasure to own and shoot.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    So where did this SAO trend come from, and where is it going?

Dipping into the market of old guys that already have too many 1911’s?

Trying to ride the tide of 9mm 2011’s?

Competition winning tech working its way into more casual and tactical shooters hands?

Yeah, I think this comes from competition, both official and casual. I really dig TDA on a Beretta or Sig, but not everyone feels that way, as evidenced by the people who still feel that the 1911 is king, or pre-cock their DA pistols and revolvers (gross). I have no doubt that some of it has to do with collectors, or dudes that can’t keep a gun on target during trigger travel, though.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    It depends on your definition of SAO.

To me, if a pistol uses a striker instead of a hammer, then it's not SAO, even if that's what the manufacturer (or someone on the Internet) calls it.
    I mean, a single action is easily definable, and has nothing to do with whether there is a hammer or a striker. I believe there are striker guns that meet that definition. In fact, I’m certain. Whether they will ever have the characteristics of a nice hammer gun, we can debate, but their existence is not debatable.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Where does SAO trend go?

I’m identifying the difference between the words singe action and the term “SAO”, primarily used by Sig.

If the OP wants to talk about singe action designs in general, then he should have typed “singe action”.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-27-23 at 12:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    SAO to me is just another action in the P22x line-up.
    TDA, DAO, DAK and SAO.

TDA works for me, I should have snagged the SAO P226 .22 Cal when it was around for $460 though.

Feedback Score
    To me, SAO has to be hammer fired, not striker fired. I noticed the new SW 5.7 has a hammer fired action.

To me single action (only) ‘trigger’ is a trigger bow, sear and hammer set up like on a 1911. I had an Sig X5 SAO and I liked it. To me the issue was balance. The barrel/slide was too long for the grip, which was just a tad too short. Trigger was good, but not amazing.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    To me, SAO has to be hammer fired, not striker fired. I noticed the new SW 5.7 has a hammer fired action.

To me single action (only) ‘trigger’ is a trigger bow, sear and hammer set up like on a 1911. I had an Sig X5 SAO and I liked it. To me the issue was balance. The barrel/slide was too long for the grip, which was just a tad too short. Trigger was good, but not amazing.
    I just got a P226 XFIVE CLASSIC (SAO) and I love the trigger on it. Light pull and short reset. It is a somewhat heavy pistol, but it balances well and the grip fits my hand like a glove.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    One of my very favorite guns its my Sig Legion 226 SAO. I call it a Poor mans Stacatto, even though its no Stacatto, damn it shoots nice. I shot my 226 DA/SA in a competition last week and did just fine, but my SAO is slightly preferable.

I dont think Sigs SAO or HK's Light LEM are going anywhere, here to stay. YMMV

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    This trend leads to better shooting pistols.

Next question.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast