Thread: Another satisfied BCM customer

Feedback Score

Another satisfied BCM customer

So I have a 14.5 BCM hammer forged elw upper on a lower I built with a combination of sionics and Bcm parts. I have about 500 rds on it. I originally had an AO precision carrier with a colt bolt in it. As the gun would heat up it would not lock back on an empty magazine. Then would start to short stroke. So I took it home and found the gas key leaked. About a week later I got some things out of storage and remembered I had a BCM bcg with about 100 rds on it in there. So I put that in and went shooting. Failure to lock open again. Although it didnÂ’t completely short stroke and fail to feed from the mag. So I figured it was the upper I contacted BCM cs after a cpl emails back and forth they sent me a pre paid ups label and I shipped the upper and bcg. Once they received it it took one day and I had an email saying that the upper was fine, but the gas key screws were broken. They had replaced the gas key and test fired it and were shipping it back to me. Two faulty gas keys in a row bad luck I guess. IÂ’m glad the upper is fine because itÂ’s very accurate. I also am completely happy with BCMÂ’s response and quick cs couldnÂ’t ask for anything better as far as IÂ’m concerned. Just thought IÂ’d share my experience.
    Last edited by Baldness; 04-14-23 at 00:46.

Feedback Score
    Gas key screw failure on a new BCM BCG isn't confidence inspiring.

Speaking of…

I recently purchased the same BCM 14.5 ELW with BCM BCG. I use a BCM H buffer (3.8oz) and Springco blue with M193, M855 and IMI 77 ammo. It’s been operating just as it should. I’m curious what buffer/spring combination some of you guys are using with the same rifle.
    Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 04-14-23 at 06:24.

Feedback Score
    I’m using a BCM H buffer and regular carbine spring. I’m not going to hold the gas key screws against them unless these break too. I have the pin and weld BCM comp mod 3 on mine. How about you Phil? I had heard that BCM barrels weren’t the most accurate. After shooting this upper I can’t complain. I only have an aimpoint H2 without magnifier so it’s not a precision rig but it hits clay pigeons at a little shy of 150 so I can’t complain. Is yours accurate enough for your purposes as well?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Freakin BOTH were broke?? I had a Colt break one once. The key lifted up just enough to cause gas leakage and short stroking. The funny thing is I took it to S.A.W. back when they were at their 2nd Chandler location, and they told me it was fine. WTF?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldness View Post
    I’m using a BCM H buffer and regular carbine spring. I’m not going to hold the gas key screws against them unless these break too. I have the pin and weld BCM comp mod 3 on mine. How about you Phil? I had heard that BCM barrels weren’t the most accurate. After shooting this upper I can’t complain. I only have an aimpoint H2 without magnifier so it’s not a precision rig but it hits clay pigeons at a little shy of 150 so I can’t complain. Is yours accurate enough for your purposes as well?
    Thanks for the reply.

I have a p/w Comp Mod 3 and Aimpoint H2 with no magnifier. Yes, the accuracy is more than adequate for my offhand practice / defensive purposes. The only time I use paper is for zeroing. Practice is steel or sometimes clays if left against the dirt bank.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Two faulty gas keys in a row bad luck I guess.
    The receiver extension could be too long or backed out a turn, or the buffer too short. Check for signs of contact between the gas key and the top of the receiver.
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Freakin BOTH were broke?? I had a Colt break one once. The key lifted up just enough to cause gas leakage and short stroking. The funny thing is I took it to S.A.W. back when they were at their 2nd Chandler location, and they told me it was fine. WTF?
    When both screws are broken on a carrier key, it is indicative that both were over tightened and sheared. Whether at the factory, or elsewhere.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I had heard that BCM barrels weren’t the most accurate.
    Bravo Company 14.5” ELW Accuracy: A Quick Look

ELW stands for enhanced light-weight. This barrel is from Bravo Company’s cold-hammer forged series of barrels. The barrel has a “continuous taper” design with a smooth shoulder at the gas block journal, which reportedly improves barrel harmonics. This barrel has a mid-length gas system and a 0.625” gas block journal.

According to Bravo Company, this barrel has a stripped weight of 1 pound, 5 ounces. For comparison, a Colt 14.5” M4 barrel has a stripped weight of 1 pound, 9 ounces.

BCM 14.5” ELW

Colt 14.5” M4 barrel. (not stripped)

I purchased this barrel as part of a BCM factory assembled upper receiver group with the MCMR 13” free-float hand guard. The barrel has BCM’s pinned and welded A2X flash hider.

Shooting off-the-bench at a distance of 100 yards (using a high magnification scope), this barrel produced a 10-shot group that has an extreme spread of 0.946” with a mean radius of 0.33”.

….

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm glad you got this taken care of and you had a positive cs experience.

I've had a not-so-positive cs experience from BCM and it really put a bad taste in my mouth.

Feedback Score
    That’s funny Phil great minds think alike….according to my email both were broken…. I will check my receiver extension when I get home the lower was assembled by Rainier Arms but who knows could be the case…Molon that post was one of the reasons I decided to try that barrel out thanks