Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cerakote/Alumahyde Optics?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Cerakote/Alumahyde Optics?

How is it done correctly? I have used Alumahyde several times, successfully. I always prep….I do a lot of prep, and apply to heated parts…heated with my heat gun. Then I bake in the oven at 180 degrees for three hours, and it’s cured. Alumahyde is actually really durable if done right.
    I’m not too sure about baking my AEMS, and 3x.
    The one time I applied Alumahyde, without baking…it was a disaster, and never cured right. I don’t even want to try, if it’s not gonna be right. How do companies Cerakote their optics? I believe Cerakote requires more heat then 180 degrees. Will the electronics handle the heat? I have done lots of plastics successfully…but I don’t want to destroy anything.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Cerakote has several formulae. Some of which don't require oven curing. Also, I would think that even the oven cured ones could be done at a lower temperature, but for a longer time.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have a Nightforce that was done in air cure Cerakote to match some other components and it came out great. I had it done by my smith so I don't know what the prep and application process is but I was very happy with the finished result.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I could just use Alumahyde, and let it air cure. The problem with that is, it’s winter and the shed is too cold. It won’t cure for probably a month or longer. Not to mention, I’m very impatient. I’m not sure Air cure Cerakote would be any different. I didn’t even know air cure Cerakote existed.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by camoman View Post
    I could just use Alumahyde, and let it air cure. The problem with that is, it’s winter and the shed is too cold. It won’t cure for probably a month or longer. Not to mention, I’m very impatient. I’m not sure Air cure Cerakote would be any different. I didn’t even know air cure Cerakote existed.
    https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerako...?cure=cera_air
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I wonder if I could apply it with a preval sprayer? I don’t have an airbrush, or spray painting set up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by camoman View Post
    I wonder if I could apply it with a preval sprayer? I don’t have an airbrush, or spray painting set up.
    No.

There is zero logic behind doing cerakote and not doing it properly. You’ll mess it up and it won’t perform to spec.

They have a lot of videos that show you how to do it properly for good reasons.

You can get cheap sprayers at harbor freight.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well then Alumahyde it is then.
    I’ll just wait for spring.
    Last edited by camoman; 01-27-23 at 11:45.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good call.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The air brush is a good investment toward getting a good outcome. Seems like Alumahyde, Moly Teflon, and even Preval units would always puke a glob(I assume due to chilling?) at some point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast