Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LMT; Build or buy complete

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

LMT; Build or buy complete

Hi all. I’ve been interested in buying an LMT. I really like the Estonian clone they have and have found some for around $3k. Problem is right now money is tight and if I bought that, I’d probably have to sell off a gun like my KAC SR15 MOD2. Now I was wondering, I know LMTs fit nice and tight (my SR15 wobbles just like my other guns), but if started off with an LMT stripped lower and built a rifle up from scratch, do all uppers/lowers made by LMT fit the same? I guess what I’m asking is do you get the same fit and finish with a completed LMT versus one built from scratch (all LMT parts, of course)?

Feedback Score
    One of the things that is just a fact of building your own AR is that of tolerance stacking. Buying parts from the same manufacturer certainly reduces that risk, but it still exists. Compared to buying a complete rifle from the factory where the entire rifle is QC'd as a whole in addition to its individual components. I also think there is value in having a factory built rifle when it comes to resale. Especially in that price range.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I thought of this as well. I really like the Estonia rifle and how it’s 14.3” for the barrel. I’d like to suppress the gun eventually, and unfortunately, if I want the KAC suppressor I don’t think you could even find one.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    LMT uppers have little "speed bumps" that help tighten the fit, so your chances of having a tight fit are pretty good.

Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 02-15-23 at 16:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd say with a lot of brands it really doesn't matter a whole lot but with LMT/KAC and other brands of that tier, I'd stay with a weapon that is factory built if possible. The only possible exception (to me anyway) is changing the trigger and CH as I'm a Lefty shooter. With LMT/KAC, I just don't see the reason to go down Rabbit Holes of buffers, springs, etc. Some here may argue that and that's fine; they may be right but I like the piece of mind knowing the engineering that went into these firearms.
    As it happens, I have a factory MARS-H and a factory SR15 and plan to do literally nothing to them both except get an optic and shoot. To be fair, the PO put a Geissele trigger in the LMT

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ugh, I really want that Estonian rifle. Just can’t justify the $3k right now. Unless of course I sold the KAC. If I could sell it and buy the LMT with money left over it might be a no brainer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Rare on one hand and rare on the other !

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I found brand new LMT MARS L lowers for $325 and I couldn’t resist. I ordered one. Going to take some time on this build, and I’d rather not give up the KAC. So right now I’ll grab the lower so I can have both. I figure to build this over the next 6 months should supplies be available. I’d like that Estonia rifle but I’m not looking to spend over $3500 on an AR. I’m hoping I can keep this below $3k.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I bought a complete, barely used, SPM14 upper and a complete, new, LMT Defender lower. Fit is good, can push the takedown pins out with a thumb but no rattle or excess play.

I replaced the carbine buffer, trigger, and pistol grip, mostly personal preference not a reflection on the quality of the components.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krp7894 View Post
    Ugh, I really want that Estonian rifle. Just can’t justify the $3k right now. Unless of course I sold the KAC. If I could sell it and buy the LMT with money left over it might be a no brainer.

I don't know that you would be getting over $3k for a used KAC 5.56 gun.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast