Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CMP South Store (Anniston AL) Open Again

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

CMP South Store (Anniston AL) Open Again

The store was closed for a couple of years due to Covid and I assume other reasons but its been open for a couple of weeks now.

I ran down today and picked up a Service Grade Dec.1943 Remington 1903A3 and a Service Grade Nov. 1943 SA Garand (with a 12/51 SA Barrel).

The prices have not gone down over the years, to be sure. I would also argue that the grading has suffered over time as well. My Dad's rack grade Garand he bought years ago is not too far off the condition and correctness of my new-to-me SG (except for throat/muzzle readings).

The 1903A3 pricing, especially, has really climbed, but they are not making any more of them.

I didn't count them, but they had about twenty 03A3s - most 1943 Remingtons, although I did see at least one one Smith-Corona. Most had throat/muzzle readings of 2 or better.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Whats the Garand situation Andy?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Whats the Garand situation Andy?
    This is a list posted this morning on another site:

"There were a fair number of cartouche stocks present, SA JLG, SA GAW and DAS. Also a few matching receivers and barrels, most had replacement barrel. Overall the rifles were very nice. Numerous 6 digits present, a few with original finish.

SA/HRA SG 48/ FG 36/ RG zero/ RG plus zero.

IHC RG 4

WRA RG 19/ RG Plus 2

M1C SG 4

M1D SG 2/ RG 3

1903a3 SG 10/ RG 2"

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks man. Im gonna make a trip this spring, and also hit that range they have there for a day.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I picked up 2 Garands (Winchester / SA) and one carbine, a couple Garand barrels and a number of bayonets back in the day.

My Bavarian IBM carbine was like $400 bucks at the time.

I’m interested in the 1911 Pistols, but the whoops they make you jump through are fairly onerous, so I’m a pass on them at this point.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'd really like a carbine. I bought a Special several years back. They were a pretty sweet deal. I think around $700. I'm not an "all original" person, so it works for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The store was closed for a couple of years due to Covid and I assume other reasons but its been open for a couple of weeks now.

I ran down today and picked up a Service Grade Dec.1943 Remington 1903A3 and a Service Grade Nov. 1943 SA Garand (with a 12/51 SA Barrel).

The prices have not gone down over the years, to be sure. I would also argue that the grading has suffered over time as well. My Dad's rack grade Garand he bought years ago is not too far off the condition and correctness of my new-to-me SG (except for throat/muzzle readings).

The 1903A3 pricing, especially, has really climbed, but they are not making any more of them.

I didn't count them, but they had about twenty 03A3s - most 1943 Remingtons, although I did see at least one one Smith-Corona. Most had throat/muzzle readings of 2 or better.

Andy
    This is a list posted this morning on another site:

"There were a fair number of cartouche stocks present, SA JLG, SA GAW and DAS. Also a few matching receivers and barrels, most had replacement barrel. Overall the rifles were very nice. Numerous 6 digits present, a few with original finish.

SA/HRA SG 48/ FG 36/ RG zero/ RG plus zero.

IHC RG 4

WRA RG 19/ RG Plus 2

M1C SG 4

M1D SG 2/ RG 3

1903a3 SG 10/ RG 2"

Andy
    Well, I "OFFICIALLY" hate YOU Andy (But in a fun-loving kind of way, LOL) That's awesome and cool that they opened back up, especially for lucky guys like you that kind of live close by. In the grand scheme of things, it's probably a good thing that I don't live close to places like that, even the Ohio Store is at least 8 hours away for me, I have always wanted to go but just never made the trip. I would be interested in what they were asking for the 1903A3 rifles, I just bought a 43 Remington last Spring and paid around $1200ish with Tax @ A local shop, it's very nice for sure but just curious about CMP average prices. Anyways enjoy your new toys, I'm sure they will be awesome.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    My service grade 1903A3 was $970 plus 10% sales tax because the south store is inside Anniston city limits. Rack grade 1903A3s should have been priced at $750 but I don't remember seeing any rack grades yesterday.

I honestly struggled with the price. I don't think they are getting cheaper though.

The barrel date on the rifle I picked matches that of the receiver, most of the parts' metal finishes are correct, the stock seems correct (although a bit salty), most parts are "R" stamped, and the throat/muzzle are 1/1+.

The bad - I think the trigger guard is incorrect and know the rear band is wrong. Neither is prohibitively expensive and I will pick up the right parts because it will bug me. The stock and handguard are both a bit beat up.

It should be a decent shooter, I assume it is a 2 groove barrel but am not smart enough to tell looking down the bore .

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-29-23 at 12:50.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    My service grade 1903A3 was $970 plus 10% sales tax because the south store is inside Anniston city limits. Rack grade 1903A3s should have been priced at $750 but I don't remember seeing any rack grades yesterday.

I honestly struggled with the price. I don't think they are getting cheaper though.

The barrel date on the rifle I picked matches that of the receiver, most of the parts' metal finishes are correct, the stock seems correct (although a bit salty), most parts are "R" stamped, and the throat/muzzle are 1/1+.

The bad - I think the trigger guard is incorrect and know the rear band is wrong. Neither is prohibitively expensive and I will pick up the right parts because it will bug me. The stock and handguard are both a bit beat up.

It should be a decent shooter, I assume it is a 2 groove barrel but am not smart enough to tell by looking down the bore .

Andy
    That doesn't sound terrible Andy I guess for today's standards, I guess I can't count my 1st rack grade that was sent to my house for $275, but yea prices have changed!!!! It sounds like a decent rifle also and the correct parts should be easy to find. I know my rifle was pretty decent, I'm not informed enough to know if it's 100% correct but the BBL is a 43 like the receiver and mine is a 4 groove bbl and it shoots pretty dam good. I turned mine into an A4 and it performs very nicely for a 80 year old rifle. Well have fun with it and post a pic when ya finally get out to the range, congrats for sure.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

It should be a decent shooter, I assume it is a 2 groove barrel but am not smart enough to tell looking down the bore .

Andy
    Are they putting on Criterion barrels on either the Garands or 03's for an additional charge?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast