Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cold weather gear

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    The trail is a real bear in the mountains, but you are right in that once you get to the piedmont or eastern part of the state it can get boring. But you can also make time and haul A if you need to. Some sections you can easily do in a weekend. The Durham County section follows the Eno River, mostly in Eno River State Park, and is doable in a long day.
    Haven't watched this one yet(just started watching this guy in 2021), but usually points out a lot of neat things to see on trails.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Haven't watched this one yet(just started watching this guy in 2021), but usually points out a lot of neat things to see on trails.

Thanks for sharing that. I watched about 15 minutes, will watch more later.

I have done the NC portion of the Appalachian Trail, which is nice, but I am looking forward to the MST.

Feedback Score
    Survival straw or two and a light metal cup for melting snow/drinking water? I didn’t see that anywhere…sorry if I missed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Wow...great info on this thread, things/items I never considered or thought about for the past 20 years or so. Will take all this advice in the event I travel north at some point. In my locale, cold weather gear is a long sleeve t-shirt.

Feedback Score
    I've recently discovered biolite products. The company offers off-grid personal-scale energy products for cooking, charging, and lighting. I'm thinking about addressing the biolite customer support by link and finding out more about their products. Did anyone try them?
    Last edited by Gregory234; 09-20-23 at 08:54.

Feedback Score
    This is an informative article by Bill Rapier former SEAL Team 6 operator. https://www.amtacshooting.com/backpa...ong-days-hike/

Feedback Score
    How does the mil surplus silk weight undergarments perform as compared to capilene?

I was/am in the market for some additional capilene pieces but now a single pair of midweight bottoms is $80+
    A compete new set of the gen III ECWCS silk weight was $30

Haven't tried out milspec stuff yet and hope they do well.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Another vote her for ArcTeryx Goretex hardshell outer layer. I have nothing but good things to say about mine. In fact all of my ArcTeryx gear is now my go to outdoor stuff. I ended up donating most all of my other stuff and am pretty much only ArcTeryx with the exception of a Carhartt work coat and a 'casual' Mountain Hardware hardshell and MH spare outdoor hardshell.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Worth a watch for light/midweight layer opinions.

Haven't tried any fishnet stuff yet.

I tend to agree with him on the level 2/waffle/grid fleece being more versatile on temperature range than level 1.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Worth a watch for light/midweight layer opinions.

Haven't tried any fishnet stuff yet.

I tend to agree with him on the level 2/waffle/grid fleece being more versatile on temperature range than level 1.
    I got this in the mail the other day for $40 on a Black Friday special, I have worn it around the house for the last week and took it today with a softshell over the top for a 6 mile hike with the dog at around 30 degrees, it is becoming one of my favorite things to wear because it's super light weight and yet extremely warm and breathable for what it is. This is a duck hunting company for sure, but this is the best grid fleece I have after owning so many of the military surplus brands.

https://www.drakewaterfowl.com/produ...40273707434051
    Last edited by Hank6046; 12-10-23 at 22:03. Reason: Clarification
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123