Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The land of the frozen…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by camoman View Post
    It was 30 below a few times last year, about two weeks ago it was about 20 below with winds, not sure what the windchills were.
    A few years ago we got down to 60 below once during a cold spell that was well below zero for over a week.
    6 years ago it was far below zero for around two weeks straight, that was when my youngest was born. That sucked! It was so cold, my heater wasn’t working worth a shit in the Buick…and I had to drive with the windshield fogging up, freezing for 25 miles, with a woman in labor..
    My wife and I had our son coming up on 10 years ago, once all of our family left the right after new years the high was -20, and the dog wouldn't go out and just pee on the tile in foyer of our old house, by the time I cleaned it up it had ice crystals formed on top, the pipes froze in the downstairs bathroom and kitchen and we just had to use the main floor bathroom for hot water, it was horrible, but we laugh about it now. I think every couple needs those trials and tribulations every once and awhile, it builds a stronger bond for sure.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    I don't see how y'all live up there in the frozen tundra. Call me a wimp, I like it here down below the Mason Dixon line.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    I don't see how y'all live up there in the frozen tundra. Call me a wimp, I like it here down below the Mason Dixon line.
    Man, I lived in FL for over a decade. Believe me, when I tell you…it isn’t near as easy as it used to be.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    I ran in to that same problem in AK. Minus the woman in labor. Damn truck wouldn’t get up to temp while driving because it was so cold.
    Did you try putting cardboard in front of the radiator like we did back in the '80s? I haven't had to do that in years but it sure seemed to help.
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I tell you, you haven’t experienced life, until you walk out the door in subzero temps with wet hair, and your hair instantly freezes on your head!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by camoman View Post
    I tell you, you haven’t experienced life, until you walk out the door in subzero temps with wet hair, and your hair instantly freezes on your head!
    Just don't touch it. We did that to a buddy in school at the bus stop. His frozen frozen hair broke off. Dude looked like Riff Raff from Rocky horror.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    No I didn’t. I thought about it but never did it. I always saw semis with some type of cover over their grills.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Did you try putting cardboard in front of the radiator like we did back in the '80s? I haven't had to do that in years but it sure seemed to help.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When I was a kid we lived on the South Shore of Lake Michigan.
    I remember my Dad coming home early and going out to get Cocoa my German Shorthair. I was maybe 8 and didn't understand all the concern.

My Uncle John "Mutt" came out with a bulldozer and dug us out. The snow drifts had covered out one story house. I remember sleding down from the roof to the front yard.

Feedback Score
    Just an update that it's going to be 45 degrees tomorrow in Madison Wi, it isn't supposed to get back into freezing temps for the next 10 days
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    When I was a kid we lived on the South Shore of Lake Michigan.
    I remember my Dad coming home early and going out to get Cocoa my German Shorthair. I was maybe 8 and didn't understand all the concern.

My Uncle John "Mutt" came out with a bulldozer and dug us out. The snow drifts had covered out one story house. I remember sleding down from the roof to the front yard.
    I have faint memories of, I think it was the blizzard of 78. I would have been almost 4. I remember dad opening the door, and digging us out of the house, and I sort of remember snow drifts almost to the top of the light poles. It was something, that’s for sure.
    This picture is from that storm.

Last edited by camoman; 02-07-23 at 09:40.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast