Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The land of the frozen…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    My uncle was a park ranger in northern Wisconsin, his park truck had a Cummins diesel, he had it plugged into a cord that ran through the wall into his kitchen to keep the glow plugs warm so it would start.
    He plugged it in so the block heater could warm the coolant. Cummins pickup engines have grid heaters and no glow plugs.

There's absolutely no reason a maintained gasoline vehicle shouldn't start at -14F. Shit, we don't even plug our vehicles in until -25F.

I have a fleet of personal and business vehicles. No reasons to spend the money on an AGM either. Wet cell does just fine, even when left to sit for weeks as long as you don't have a weird voltage draw.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 02-01-23 at 01:32.

Feedback Score
    I like the AGM for other reasons too. I’ve never had terminal corrosion for example, nor leaking, or sloshing from off road driving.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It is miserable when your boogers freeze.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Ah, my 2004 Acura TL that I used for work 2015-2019 never even paused more than a moment in Bismarck and Fargo and Minneapolis when temps were -8° - 14°. I put in a new Autozone battery early on in that time frame. Sounds like maybe a battery problem.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by camoman View Post
    I remember in the 90s I used to have this guy I worked for, who’d do anything to make a buck. He used to drive around on the coldest days with big sheets of cardboard, and his big torpedo heater…and charge people $10 to thaw out their vehicles, lol. That guy was the biggest shister I’ve ever met.
    I dunno, I probably wouldn’t have paid him, but that just sounds like capitalism to me. Unless he was going to his employees to offer that, which would make him a d*ck rather than a scheister.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    I dunno, I probably wouldn’t have paid him, but that just sounds like capitalism to me. Unless he was going to his employees to offer that, which would make him a d*ck rather than a scheister.
    Oh believe me, that was one of the most honest things the dude did.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Coldest I’ve been was -55° in Tok AK. Drove the ALCAN to Fort Richardson AK for my last duty station.

I did not have a block heater nor did I have chock blocks. So I left my Ranger running all night, with the E brake on. Learned the next morning how stupid leaving the E brake on was in those extreme temps.

I’m staying home today due to the fact that my car won’t start. To tell you the truth, I don’t know what to do with myself lol. I put the charger on my battery, and now I’m just bored as heck! 14 below zero is no fun for anyone.. Oh Wisconsin, why do you have to be so cold?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    He plugged it in so the block heater could warm the coolant. Cummins pickup engines have grid heaters and no glow plugs.

There's absolutely no reason a maintained gasoline vehicle shouldn't start at -14F. Shit, we don't even plug our vehicles in until -25F.

I have a fleet of personal and business vehicles. No reasons to spend the money on an AGM either. Wet cell does just fine, even when left to sit for weeks as long as you don't have a weird voltage draw.
    OK, thanks for the clarification. My knowledge of engines--any engines--begins and ends in knowing they are under the hood, which is up front.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Coldest I’ve been was -55° in Tok AK. Drove the ALCAN to Fort Richardson AK for my last duty station.

I did not have a block heater nor did I have chock blocks. So I left my Ranger running all night, with the E brake on. Learned the next morning how stupid leaving the E brake on was in those extreme temps.
    It was 30 below a few times last year, about two weeks ago it was about 20 below with winds, not sure what the windchills were.
    A few years ago we got down to 60 below once during a cold spell that was well below zero for over a week.
    6 years ago it was far below zero for around two weeks straight, that was when my youngest was born. That sucked! It was so cold, my heater wasn’t working worth a shit in the Buick…and I had to drive with the windshield fogging up, freezing for 25 miles, with a woman in labor..
    Last edited by camoman; 02-01-23 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I ran in to that same problem in AK. Minus the woman in labor. Damn truck wouldn’t get up to temp while driving because it was so cold.

It was 30 below a few times last year, about two weeks ago it was about 20 below with winds, not sure what the windchills were.
    A few years ago we got down to 60 below once during a cold spell that was well below zero for over a week.
    6 years ago it was far below zero for around two weeks straight, that was when my youngest was born. That sucked! It was so cold, my heater wasn’t working worth a shit in the Buick…and I had to drive with the windshield fogging up, freezing for 25 miles, with a woman in labor..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast