Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: True battle ready rifle???What is your choice?

Feedback Score
    CCP invasion?

TOP 3:

1. SCAR 17
    2. DD4V7
    3. Geissele Super Duty 11.5” SBR

Would all depend upon what I needed and where I was at. All 3 have been 100% reliable for me and run suppressed quite well.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Basically, the AR has just too much going for it.
    For me, the HK-91 pattern would probably be a close second. It's just incredibly durable and the iron sights just work for me. Just an absolute bet your ass Road Warrior doom world rifle.
    AK

Obviously the SCAR/HK416 are also awesome.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Steyr AUG with a Trijicon TR24 LPVO. If by the time that wears out/breaks down and we’re winning, I switch to a M4. If we’re losing, I switch to whatever Chicom piece of junk I can find.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yea, I'll play
    SR15 with 1-8, with can would be my goto
    But just about any of my SBR's would fill the niche, Colt6945, LMT10.5... with Aimpoint RDS and cans
    Sidearm would be HK P30L or P226

I would want to keep a 6.5CM MWS handy, because I can but the AR15 is good enough for 95% of such needs.

I don't own a flame thrower and for that I SUCK!

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-07-23 at 17:19.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Yea, I'll play
    SR15 with 1-8, with can would be my goto
    But just about any of my SBR's would fill the niche, Colt6945, LMT10.5... with Aimpoint RDS and cans
    Sidearm would be HK P30L or P226
    Pretty much this - 16" URX setup with 1-6x would be my personal go-to because that's what I have the most time on, and it runs a small cute M4S can.
    Otherwise, maximally boring gets it done (the DD v5 with Aimpoint, and 9mm Striker Fired Polymer pistol)
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

True battle ready rifle???What is your choice?

A Colt, BCM or DD rifle, and one of my Glock G45s.
    Last edited by 202; 02-07-23 at 19:59.

Feedback Score
    primary my Colt AR , then a Yugo M70 folder for secondary , with Glock 17 side arm

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The M4 v. bigger battle rifle discussion seems to be an all-or-nothing immediate argument drill for many.

Infantry is about shoot-move-communicate. Formations need to do the whole OODA thing -- kill people and break things faster than your opponents with surprise, speed, and violence of action.

There's been no analysis that EVERYONE in the squad or platoon needs a battle rifle.

The 1942 US Army infantry squad had a Browning Automatic Rifle and a Springfield with a 4.5X telescope. Today's squad is much smaller (to shoe-horn into a Bradley fighting vehicle) -- and the BAR has been replaced by a SAW and the Springfield with an HK M110A1 (that the shooter receives no formal training on).

"Overmatch" is lip service. We have an M4 carbine capable of shooting 400 meters with an ACOG -- even farther with heavier, in-system standard 77s (Mark 262 and the Marine Corps competition load) that nobody wants to pay for or establish qualification tables for, out to 500-600 yards.

M995 5.56 armor piercing is an excellent-superior (but horrendously expensive) and capable cartridge for weapons we have across the fleet, today. The problem is China sits on the main component (tungsten) of that bullet.

Feedback Score
    This was really meant to be more about battle ready rifles VS civilian grade rifles regardless of caliber or type.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    This was really meant to be more about battle ready rifles VS civilian grade rifles regardless of caliber or type.
    Short of going the NFA/Tax Stamp route, there isn't really a difference between the two (B-R/civilian). Sure there are some older/former (actual) semiautomatic battle rifles out there like the M1 Garand, but for modern day "battle ready" use?... Hell - Most states have some form of legislation that restricts or otherwise limits their law abiding citizenry from obtaining or using anything that could be considered "battle ready" depending on your definition of the term.

If we're really talking about the average citizen (who has nothing), It would actually be better for them to go and purchase a semi-auto pistol and learn to maintain & use it, rather than for them to seek out a "battle ready" rifle, but that's for another discussion...

For me, "battle ready" is more about knowing how to go with whatever you've got, than knit-picking the details. I chose to go with an A4 clone because that is what I have the most experience with using & maintaining. Yes they are long & heavy, but I am used to the weight, and deadly accurate at using them within their effective range. Still unlike the average civilian, I also carry a Beretta M9A1 for close quarters/immediate response use, as well as a decent fighting knife should all else ever fail, but that's just me, and I wouldn't recommend that for the average civilian because:

1 - It is a heavy setup & takes a long time getting used to & becoming proficient with.
    2 - It is a rather expensive (and ever increasingly rare) setup which most civilians either can't afford to purchase, or would have difficulty sourcing many of the components.
    & lastly, it would be better for the average civilian (who has nothing) to only have to focus on one simple firearm, rather than having that focus split among multiple weapons/options.

MA2
    Last edited by MA2_Navy_Veteran; 02-14-23 at 16:01.
    ,——'¯¯';=====±—-
    !‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶
    One is just never enough...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast