Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: True battle ready rifle???What is your choice?

Feedback Score

True battle ready rifle???What is your choice?

Just for shits and giggles- If you did not already own a rifle and you as a better than average knowledgeable US citizen had to choose 1 rifle because there is a chance China or( XXX your favorite country here)may invade (remember shits and giggles) what would you choose? What (semi auto)rifles on the US market are truly battle ready, not saying a battle rifle(308) but battle ready? If you say "AK" or "AR" include the brand because some(90%) ARs and AKs are absolute crap. Yeah I know some people in Kansas can see all the way across the state and will opt for something different than those in the south where you can't see 100yds in the woods. It's a general thing, you may be in and out of trucks, houses one day and in dense woods or open fields the next. If the need to go through cars or walls arises take it into consideration.
    Just my opinion here- I've been shooting ARs for apx 40 years so it's tough for me to change and asking me to choose one rifle is like asking a woman to choose 1 shoe. I've never been an AK guy, just can't do it, that also rules out the Galil. I couldn't choose a 9mm either, AUG- no, FAL-no, I've had several M1As but no, I've had Sig 553s-no.
    Yes a SCAR 16, several ARs, HK 93 and 91, IWI X95 and Sig MCX Spear lt would all do the job IMO. I've shot a SCAR for 18 months and timed through the course I am faster with a plain old DI AR15(not a game gun), the others I have not shot enough to make a fair judgement. The fact that it is near impossible to find IWI x95 parts at this point in time places it well down the list.

ETA-This was really meant to be more about QUALITY, RELIABILITY, DURABILITY battle ready rifles VS civilian grade rifles regardless of caliber or type.
    Popcorn is almost ready.
    Further edit due to questions in the replies. You may want to check out post 37 if you don't understand.

AR-Brands I would trust-LMT, KAC, HK, FN, Colt, BCM
    AK- Krebs and Arsenal seems to run but, no idea I don't shoot AKs.
    Sig MCX Spear Lt
    SCAR 16/17
    Galil
    HK416/MR556
    MP5
    HK93 and clones
    HK91 and clones
    IWI x95
    AUG
    FAL/L1A1
    M1A-LRB, Smith, original Springfields
    etc...
    Last edited by constructor; 02-15-23 at 10:58.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I didnt know what I do know and was just some rando I would want an S&W ar because name and brand recognition.
    (and its actually a decent ar15 compared to others)
    A lot wont know anything about sig or springfield unless they know about what they used to be when it came to making guns and end up with the equivalent of a torass.
    Our lgs has shit quality aks and a lot of bolt actions and mossbergs, I couldnt find a decent 870 to save my life and the 590 doesnt happen here.
    I cant even get them to get me a g26.5

its very much hick town but the owner does have a SS marked luger.
    Last edited by Sidneyious; 01-31-23 at 13:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Id grab a good Milspec(ish) AR like a Colt, BCM, SOLGW, or Daniel Defense. Those are all proven fighting rifles with parts commonality with any spares I would likely find.

I was going to say a KAC SR15 as I believe they are a evolution of the AR and have good improvements. But in a hypothetical situation of the country being invaded, I would be worried about getting spare parts if my rifle were damaged.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    AR-based platform has proven itself to me.

I’d take any quality, work-oriented variant. The specifics of the base rifle matter less than the enabling devices mounted to it, or any number of other tactical/operational/life/logistic concerns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Id grab a good Milspec(ish) AR like a Colt, BCM, SOLGW, or Daniel Defense. Those are all proven fighting rifles with parts commonality with any spares I would likely find.

I was going to say a KAC SR15 as I believe they are a evolution of the AR and have good improvements. But in a hypothetical situation of the country being invaded, I would be worried about getting spare parts if my rifle were damaged.
    I'm sure many would do the same. I've been through enough high round count 3gun comps to know what fails most so I know most civilian rifles are not battle ready. Any AR that has a gas block that is not pinned is not ready, gas blocks moving turning hot ARs into single shots is one of the first along with short stroking due to lack of lube and extractors breaking (probably from being over-gased).
    Last edited by constructor; 01-31-23 at 20:58.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    A gun I could reasonably expect to find for sale in a brick and mortar store? Colt 6720. Ready availability of ammunition, mags, spare parts, etc make a quality AR a no-brainer.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-31-23 at 22:36.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    MY 14 year old LMT as it sits in the safe right now. The most reliable AR or for that matter semi-auto Ive ever owned.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post

This. A good M4 carbine or SOCOM M4 carbine is my go to, and what I'm shooting most often right now. (no suppressor)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Meh - I mostly made/cloned my own. They're heavy, yes, but it's what I was raised up on/trained on & so I'm rather used to their weight & usage.

A4 clones...

MA2
    ,——'¯¯';=====±—-
    !‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶
    One is just never enough...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I read Boston T. Party's (Kenneth W. Royce) Gun Bible many years ago and it always stuck with me that a .308 battle rifle is probably the way to go. But for whatever reason I've always stuck with 5.56 and the M4. So, I guess my choice would be one of the DDM4 V7's that are in my safe equipped with an EXPS2 and G33 magnifier.

There is still that voice in the back of my head though that is telling me I should probably invest in something along the lines of an HK91 or SCAR 17.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast