Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: True battle ready rifle???What is your choice?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    I read Boston T. Party's (Kenneth W. Royce) Gun Bible many years ago and it always stuck with me that a .308 battle rifle is probably the way to go. But for whatever reason I've always stuck with 5.56 and the M4. So, I guess my choice would be one of the DDM4 V7's that are in my safe equipped with an EXPS2 and G33 magnifier.

There is still that voice in the back of my head though that is telling me I should probably invest in something along the lines of an HK91 or SCAR 17.
    I agree with this. I think if someone asked me what end-of-the-world rifle should I get to stick under the bed in case of war, a SCAR 17 would probably be my answer. It would be a lot better with a geissele trigger and a MREX rail but will get it done just fine without it. This coming from the guy that sold his 17.
    Last edited by themonk; 02-03-23 at 10:04.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    "308, turning cover into concealment" definitely something to consider when your foe is behind a car or block wall.
    Another is the length of the rifle when getting in and out of vehicles.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How much .308 can you hump without it significantly limiting your mobility?

I’ve carried both an M4 and and M14 SDM in combat and far prefer the former for almost any use outside of a group/unit.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    How much .308 can you hump without it significantly limiting your mobility?

I’ve carried both an M4 and and M14 SDM in combat and far prefer the former for almost any use outside of a group/unit.
    Agreed. I view .308 as best suited for specialized/supporting roles.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    If you say "AK" or "AR" include the brand because some(90%) ARs and AKs are absolute crap.
    Not true. Some are crap, but nowhere near 90% are.

In answer to your question, I'd choose either a Sig 553LB with a NATO lower or an XCR-L in 5.56x45. I'd be perfectly happy with plenty of other rifles too.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My Scar17. If I can have 2 I'll add my mk18.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    SCAR 17, followed by my SCAR 16. After that it'll largely be situation dependent on whether the Mk 18 clone or PTR 91 gets tapped.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    "308, turning cover into concealment" definitely something to consider when your foe is behind a car or block wall.
    Another is the length of the rifle when getting in and out of vehicles.
    Having spent a lot of time with the SAW and the M240, I found that most stuff either stopped both 5.56 and 7.62 Nato or it stopped neither. Does 7.62 do more damage to block walls? Definitely. But you are going to need to concentrate multiple rounds into the same spot to start punching through concrete/brick and your adversary isnt likely to just stay there.

Personally Ill take the weight, recoil, and ammo count advantage of the 5.56 over the ability that I can shoot through things at targets I cant really see. Especially in a situation where resupply is not going to be easy.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Having spent a lot of time with the SAW and the M240, I found that most stuff either stopped both 5.56 and 7.62 Nato or it stopped neither.
    In practice, I agree, based on my own anecdotes with the same/similar weapons, but the theoretical advantage 7.62x51 has in barrier penetration still makes it a worthwhile MG cartridge, IMO. For a general purpose rifle? No way.

That meme about “7.62, turning cover into concealment since 1953” or whatever is ill deserved, and should really be about the 12.5/12.7mm cartridges, which do, in fact, do that. Very, very well. **** your block wall, its mom, and the horse they rode in on. We making loopholes today.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    In practice, I agree, based on my own anecdotes with the same/similar weapons, but the theoretical advantage 7.62x51 has in barrier penetration still makes it a worthwhile MG cartridge, IMO. For a general purpose rifle? No way.

That meme about “7.62, turning cover into concealment since 1953” or whatever is ill deserved, and should really be about the 12.5/12.7mm cartridges, which do, in fact, do that. Very, very well. **** your block wall, its mom, and the horse they rode in on. We making loopholes today.
    I whole heartedly agree. 7.62 is a far superior machinegun round due to the retained mass/velocity/energy at distance.

But for a rifleman, I think going to a battle rifle as standard is a step backwards.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast