Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: True battle ready rifle???What is your choice?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    OK, thanks for the clarification. I experience with a Ruger Mini, and a genuine Armalite AR 180. Both are gone and the only one I miss is the AR 180. Makes me want one for the new Brownells BRN 180's. But not enough to pull the trigger.. As to the rest; FN SCAR's, IWI, AUG, etc.. No personal experience. I've seen youtube tests of the BRN 180 and it did well but nothing long term.
    I would like to see more testing of the BRN 180, what breaks first, what wears out the fastest, etc. Genuine rough, military rough, treatment.
    I've had several of the old Armalite rifles, they never failed me. The problem for me was not being able to get a 16", not having a rail that allowed attachments. It looks like they have modernized and other manufacturers stocks could work. IMO it's worth checking out. Looks like for $1267 you could have almost the same thing as a Sig MCX that sells for around $2500. The upper alone cost 799-999 and fits a regular AR15 lower.
    Last edited by constructor; 02-15-23 at 13:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    I've had several of the old Armalite rifles, they never failed me. The problem for me was not being able to get a 16", not having a rail that allowed attachments. It looks like they have modernized and other manufacturers stocks could work. IMO it's worth checking out. Looks like for $1267 you could have almost the same thing as a Sig MCX that sells for around $2500. The upper alone cost 799-999 and fits a regular AR15 lower.
    Yes, very attractive to me as well. But, I have an AR 15 or two that leave me wanting nothing, so I have yet to get a BRN.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    You want a recommendation for a battle rifle.

OK, pick up the military standard for the M4, M16, or the generic small arms acceptance guide (you can download them on .pdfs). See what inspections and functions checks a US GI weapon has to pass to be accepted into service.

I got 1200 Rock River select-fire carbines for my Iraqi commandos, complete with Daniel free float rails. DD hasn't sold complete guns to the military, but has sold uppers.

Of course individual hand-made guns can surpass the GI standard. Few outfits can mass-produce that product and pass the basic military acceptance standards at different price points.

Even within the military, for a rifle very close to another (the Knight M11 Sniper Rifle and the Army M110) the acceptance standard for USSOCOM can be different than for the Army, per the contract specs.
    No I never once asked for a recommendation. I am not asking anyone what they or you think I should buy.
    I've owned a company manufacturing AR parts for 14 years and that is how long we have had the specs, gauges and tools in the shop along with the CNCs to manufacture those parts.
    The question I asked was what rifle would you choose, not you specifically but anyone on the forum.
    Honestly at this point if I could delete the thread I would. Mods if you happen upon this do me a favor and delete it.
    Thanks to those that understood the post and gave a reply.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    PTR91 with White Oak bbl, Williams Trigger Specialties set trigger!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Just for shits and giggles- If you did not already own a rifle and you as a better than average knowledgeable US citizen had to choose 1 rifle because there is a chance China or( XXX your favorite country here)may invade (remember shits and giggles) what would you choose? What (semi auto)rifles on the US market are truly battle ready, not saying a battle rifle(308) but battle ready? If you say "AK" or "AR" include the brand because some(90%) ARs and AKs are absolute crap.

ETA-This was really meant to be more about QUALITY, RELIABILITY, DURABILITY battle ready rifles VS civilian grade rifles regardless of caliber or type.
    Popcorn is almost ready.
    Further edit due to questions in the replies. You may want to check out post 37 if you don't understand.

AR-Brands I would trust-LMT, KAC, HK, FN, Colt, BCM

etc...
    Sorry, then. You confused the heck out of me.

I'd probably pick a turn-key, free-floated mid-length AR carbine, perhaps by Geissele (since they generally build something I wouldn't have to after-market alter or modify to go to war right now), no monkeying around and having to go to Brownells or half-a-dozen other places except for optic, laser, and bullets.

This is a free-floated 7.62 Armalite AR-10 carbine. Rio de Janeiro's civil and military police replaced their FALs with a handier (yet still powerful enough to handle walls and cars) daily duty long gun.

Feedback Score
    If going pick up one battle rifle it would be my HK 91 it's the rifle i have the most experience with.

Feedback Score
    Have to go with the most available rifle caliber ammunition available domestically. Here in the U.S. it is .556 > .308. In that case I choose a Colt or similarly bonafide 5.56 dreaded "assault rifle".
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    7.62 I'd go with my Kel Tec RFB. FAL mags, adjustable gas, compact. Mine has a bipod, and a 4-12X optic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    This is a free-floated 7.62 Armalite AR-10 carbine. Rio de Janeiro's civil and military police replaced their FALs with a handier (yet still powerful enough to handle walls and cars) daily duty long gun.

Not sure what it is with those Central and South American militaries but man they sure like their .308's don't they? Generally speaking, they are physically smaller guys than us Americans but toting "battle rifles" while we are rocking 5.56 and have been for over half a century. I remember the Honduran Army unit we trained with in 1984 and they had Para-FALs.

EDIT---duh, it's in my avatar!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    In addition to a quality AR, if I was hunkering down I would want one of my M1s loaded with AP ammo handy for vehicles. Admittedly, a 7.62 FAL/M1A1/AR/HK would offer the same plus larger capacity mags but I already have the M1.

Andy

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast