Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo K vs Recce 5 for 12.5" 5.56

Feedback Score

Turbo K vs Recce 5 for 12.5" 5.56

Hey guys, getting ready to buy a can for my SBR(12.3" BA Hanson barrel), and am kinda stuck between 2. The YHM Turbo K and Griffin Recce 5. It seems as though the Turbo K is a bit shorter, lighter, and cheaper, but has more "back pressure" and is a little louder than the Recce 5. I like the look of the Plan A flash hiders and brakes more, but I'm not sure that's a big deal with it pretty much living on the rifle. The Turbo K is in stock at my LGS, the Griffin is on backorder, but he said he can have one before long. Anyone with experience with both? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    In stock trumps almost all. The turbo K direct thread is my most wanted can. (granted, I don't know sh1t about the current wave of offerings, but that little, lite can is calling me)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    The Recce is a pretty sweet can, I’ve had a gen3 for a few years and the new ones with the baffle upgrade are supposedly even better.

The Turbo K is a great can as well, but I will say I absolutely prefer griffins taper mount system over yhm’s. It’s definitely a superior mourning system.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The Turbo K is a great can, especially on a 12.5" barrel.

The YHM mount system is heavy, so seriously consider direct thread or something much lighter.

No direct experience with the Recce 5, but we also hear good things about it.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Tough one. I have a Turbo K, but I’ve used it exclusively on 12.5”-14.5” hosts. And my friend with the Recce 5 uses it exclusively on an 18” host.

When you say the Turbo K has more backpressure, but the Recce 5 is quieter, I have some doubt. I think the Recce 5 might be quieter (it is with our divergent hosts), but that probably leads to more backpressure.

You can use Plan A/Griffin Taper with either. Hansohn Bros or Capitol Armory (can’t remember which) will sell you the Turbo K with no mount adapter, for less $. I use my Turbo K with Plan A.

I’d get the one that is in stock, with the awareness that the best time to buy a can is a year ago, and the second best time is right now.

To further mess up your decision matrix, also consider Rex Silentium/Plan A for light, cheap, effective. I’ve got a few of them, but mostly use my .264 MG7k with my 12.5” hosts, when I’m not using my Turbo K.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Honestly I had decided on the turbo K and was on Griffin's site looking at plan a mounts/muzzle devices when I saw the Recce 5 and it piqued my interest. Looks to have great reviews, and is decently priced. The Turbo K is in stock and gets me a $100 credit on SS right now, which would cover the cost of a plan A mount, with just a little extra for the minimalist FH. The Recce 5 still has my interest pretty hard for some reason.
    Last edited by IALoder; 01-31-23 at 18:02.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IALoder View Post
    Honestly I had decided on the turbo K and was on Griffin's site looking at plan a mounts/muzzle devices when I saw the Recce 5 and it piqued my interest. Looks to have great reviews, and is decently priced. The Turbo K is in stock and gets me a $100 credit on SS right now, which would cover the cost of a plan A mount, with just a little extra for the minimalist FH. The Recce 5 still has my interest pretty hard for some reason.
    If you want a Griffin can, I’d probably go with an Explorr, honestly. Tubeless is preferable.

I’ve got a M4SDk at the factory getting re-cored with the latest Recce 5 baffles, so I’ll let you know.

Still, the NFA wait can’t begin before you pull the trigger, so the Turbo K might be the best choice. You’ll buy more later. The regular Turbo is good, too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    If you want a Griffin can, I’d probably go with an Explorr, honestly. Tubeless is preferable.

I’ve got a M4SDk at the factory getting re-cored with the latest Recce 5 baffles, so I’ll let you know.

Still, the NFA wait can’t begin before you pull the trigger, so the Turbo K might be the best choice. You’ll buy more later. The regular Turbo is good, too.
    Do you think the Turbo K is sufficient for a 12.5" or would the full size Turbo be worth the extra weight and length?

Just brain storming here, I'm also hoping to get a suppressor this year.
    Do you think the Turbo K is good on a 12.5?
    I currently have a 10.3 and was leaning towards the full size Turbo but have since been bitten by the 12.5 bug and plan to build one of those.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    yhm will not do free warranty work if you use mounts other than theirs
    YHM will eventually update the turbo k and the rest of their like like the new turbo 3 which is a lower back pressure can.

yhm makes a solid cheap can and I havnt heard anyone say they regret buying a yhm product.

I like the mount because its a non nfa fix

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That is the magic of the 12.5" barrel.

Whereas the 10" and 11" barrels tend to overwhelm smaller cans and "require" a full size can for best performance, the mini cans seem to perform much better on 12.5" and longer barrels.

On a 12.5" barrel, Turbo-K all day long.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    Do you think the Turbo K is sufficient for a 12.5" or would the full size Turbo be worth the extra weight and length?

Just brain storming here, I'm also hoping to get a suppressor this year.
    Do you think the Turbo K is good on a 12.5?
    I currently have a 10.3 and was leaning towards the full size Turbo but have since been bitten by the 12.5 bug and plan to build one of those.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast