Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staff, Mods, Owners

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Staff, Mods, Owners

Is it possible to have a sub forum here at M4C as a means for members to “Reach out” to others here in times of need.

I’m not talking financial, go fund me type stuff.

This would be for members who are having a difficult time in their life, and they’re close to reaching the “end”.

I know we have a lot of veterans, police, fire, emt, contractors, regular everyday people here. There have been times I’ve read in posts where members are having a very hard go at life. Maybe a forum dedicated to help those in need out could/would be beneficial.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I don’t know how much I’d want to be involved in either end but I support it. One of my new coworkers was telling me about a former Company Commander from his battery that took his own life last week.

My guess is the hard part would be the involvement on both sides. Some people don’t want to talk to strangers, much less random (non-professionals) people. Others may struggle being on the other side of that by offering up their emotional bandwidth but if it helps even one person, that’s a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I agree, to a point. You’d be amazed at how a simple gesture of just listening or being a shoulder to cry on helps. I’m not saying that one needs to be a trained professional in psychology, but it could be beneficial to those who are in need to seek guidance from like minded people,

I lost my best friend, my brother, to suicide 2 years ago. Navy veteran, husband and a father of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I don’t know how much I’d want to be involved in either end but I support it. One of my new coworkers was telling me about a former Company Commander from his battery that took his own life last week.

My guess is the hard part would be the involvement on both sides. Some people don’t want to talk to strangers, much less random (non-professionals) people. Others may struggle being on the other side of that by offering up their emotional bandwidth but if it helps even one person, that’s a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    One of my new coworkers was telling me about a former Company Commander from his battery that took his own life last week.
    A Corpsman on Lejeune killed himself a few days ago. Friend of a friend.

I actually quit EMS to go back to primarily military work after a good friend killed himself the night before his next shift, and my roommate, a mutual friend, had to pronounce him while I was on shift. I was looking forward to seeing him in the morning at shift change, and obviously he didn’t show.

Mental health among EMS/Fire/LE/Servicemembers/Veterans is super bad. Worse than I thought. I’ve been working with a group to compile info on Ranger Vets, and its…bad. Really bad. My contacts in other organizations report similar problems. One SOIDC that works in the smallest element of Operators reported two suicides last year alone.

I don’t know what the solution is. I don’t think it’ll be found here, but I’m open enough to watch this thread.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    The suicide rate within military is being watered down.

We have a fairly large, extensive group of people on this forum who have the knowledge and heart to help and/or point someone in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    A Corpsman on Lejeune killed himself a few days ago. Friend of a friend.

I actually quit EMS to go back to primarily military work after a good friend killed himself the night before his next shift, and my roommate, a mutual friend, had to pronounce him while I was on shift. I was looking forward to seeing him in the morning at shift change, and obviously he didn’t show.

Mental health among EMS/Fire/LE/Servicemembers/Veterans is super bad. Worse than I thought. I’ve been working with a group to compile info on Ranger Vets, and its…bad. Really bad. My contacts in other organizations report similar problems. One SOIDC that works in the smallest element of Operators reported two suicides last year alone.

I don’t know what the solution is. I don’t think it’ll be found here, but I’m open enough to watch this thread.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Staff, Mods, Owners

I’ll be the dissenter on this one.

What makes anyone think a forum is the right place for something of this nature?

This seems a terrible idea, based on the potential liability alone. There are numerous other potential areas of risk.

Get these folks professional help they need and deserve.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 02-02-23 at 18:10.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post

What makes anyone think a forum is the right place for something of this nature?
    You’re not the only dissenter. Like I said I don’t know the solution, so I’ll watch this thread, but I don’t think an internet forum is the best place.

As far as getting people the professional help they need, the hard part is for them to know they need help, and that its ok to get help, and connect them with those resources early enough.
    Last edited by 1168; 02-02-23 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    That’s where I’m at with this. Like I said, you don’t need to be a trained professional to listen. Those with problems, especially those who have reached the end, can reach out and say “hey, I think I need some help.”

Okay, let’s get you what you need. Here’s XYZ, their contact info, and other pedigree information.

One thing I’ve learned throughout the years, most people reach out because they know they’re at that point of no return and the simple act of listening is a huge help.

Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    You’re not the only dissenter. Like I said I don’t know the solution, so I’ll watch this thread, but I don’t think an internet forum is the best place.

As far as getting people the professional help they need, the hard part is for them to know they need help, and that its ok to get help, and connect them with those resources early enough.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said.

My question is this: How do you know what someone needs if no one reaches out says “I need help?”

I remember a time while serving in the Army that you were classified as a pussy and piece of shit if you even hinted there was something wrong. Think of all the soldiers who took their own life without having a sounding board to get their problems out there.

Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post

This seems a terrible idea, based on the potential liability alone. There are numerous other potential areas of risk.

Get these folks professional help they need and deserve.

Feedback Score
    There used to be a subform for that a few years back, but no one participated so it was removed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast