So I've been lurking over the knife threads for some years, and have come up in the past with good options for EDC and quality pocket knives that I generally carry in my truck or backpacking through the woods, but as far as a decent fighting fixed blade, I'm horribly uniformed.

After getting out 10 years ago I bought a OKC USMC Ka-Bar Bayonet, which I knew was better then the Ka-bar brand, but sold it to a fellow vet in college because I paid over $200 for it and needed the money. I ended up with the Gerber Infantry fighting knife with the serrated blade, some years later which is heavy and clinks around in the plastic sheath, over all way too much knife. I'm now thinking of taking a scout course, or more "modern minute man" type basic infantry tactics course with a buddy of mine and want a dedicated fixed blade that I can use, but I can also use for skinning a deer, general purpose woods knife, the kicker is I want smaller, lighter, and better built. I would like to keep it around $150-$200 because I tend to loose or miss place such things if I'm not using them daily, or every once in a while find them with my brother in law or father in law like so many tools. I'm keen to hear suggestions.