Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PIPE SMOKERS...Come on in.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadslinger585 View Post
    I've gotten back into smoking pipes.

Best thing I've found in enhancing the overall smoking experience is to dry the tobacco out before you pack your pipe. My routine in the morning is to take out some tobacco, spread it out on a piece of paper. Make coffee, shower up, dress, pack your work bag, then just before you head out, pack the pipe.

Another thing is smoking slowly and by that I mean let the tobacco cool before taking another puff, but doing so often enough you don't have to relight it.

@Sidneyious with a large enough pipe, you could pack a pipe and smoke it all day. I usually enjoy a pipe on my way to work, and enjoy the same pipe at lunch break and on the drive home and by then I'm down to the "dottle" which I just dump.

My favorite so far has been Orlik's Golden Sliced. @Straight Shooter if you liked Blood Red Moon, you may enjoy Hobbit's Weed from 4noggins.com just know it smokes best with a lot of drying time.
    Excellent advice. Im gonna look for & check out that Hobbits Weed, too.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    as someone who hates the taste of a relit cig or even a black and mild I dont think I could stand re lighting a pipe. hell I cant even stand cigars that I have to relight and I used a ****ing torch to light that damn thing.
    Even when I smoked, I too, hated that. Ive found pipes to be completely different. A light flame, slowly getting it going and not burning the tobacco, helps. I do a false light...then my charring light. And if I dont have it packed right..might take a third attempt.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieThom View Post
    I finished my last cigarette on Jan 2 around lunchtime. Haven’t had one since. Only a month, but I’ll take it.

I’ve kicked around the idea of getting into cigar smoking and/or pipe smoking for years, just haven’t ever taken the plunge. I’ll be keeping my eye on this thread.
    HANG IN THERE. It was not hard AT ALL for me, and I smoked HARD for 10 years. Was one of the best things I ever did.
    The pipe may or may not help. As I said, I dont inhale. But IF I start wanting a cig..Im stopping faster than a bullet on a steel target.
    I DO recommend the low cost cob pipes for starting...they are awesome.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I finished my last cigarette on Jan 2 around lunchtime. Haven’t had one since. Only a month, but I’ll take it.

I’ve kicked around the idea of getting into cigar smoking and/or pipe smoking for years, just haven’t ever taken the plunge. I’ll be keeping my eye on this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Anybody want to see a picture of my throat/tongue cancer?
    No, not really. Did it come from smoking a pipe?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I only smoke my pipe occasionally and it has never made me want to smoke cigarettes. Might be good for those having a hard time with social smoking and quitting.

Starting out with a cob is much easier. And so classy.

Also start out with lighter flavored tobacco, it’s not as wet as most of the highly flavored stuff so you don’t have to try and dry it out. Carter Hall pouches with pinch of something more flavored is a good start.

Go slow. Slower than you think slow is. Don’t worry if you have to relight a bunch starting out, it’s better than burning your tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    as someone who hates the taste of a relit cig or even a black and mild I dont think I could stand re lighting a pipe.
    Nasty with a cigar but the pipe is not the same at all. I can put it down and then light it back up whenever.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I quit cigs cold turkey. And all this time I still absolutely cant stand them.
    Since I dont inhale the pipe smoke, and it being very aromatic..I savor the smoke more and it tastes and good, and smell terrific in a room.
    Pipe smoking is more sophisticated..thats a good word to use. I dont use it to satisfy a nicotine fit, I go days without even touching them.
    Its just vastly different to me, than smoking cigarettes.
    If you was a former smoker for 40 years and dropped it like you did cold turkey...

You is a bad ass dude. That shit is a hard, hard habit for many to break.

Wish I had half the will power you obviously got with respect to nicotine and tobacco.

My mom quit (finally) about ten years ago after 30 yrs of smoking. Took her a BUNCH of tries before she finally found the way for HER to do it.

Much respect for both of you here for not allowing any damn drug to control you.

Feedback Score

Agree with SS. HANG IN THERE...

Every day you add to that month that you already have is a step in the right direction. Don't let the drug push you backwards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    HANG IN THERE. It was not hard AT ALL for me, and I smoked HARD for 10 years. Was one of the best things I ever did.
    The pipe may or may not help. As I said, I dont inhale. But IF I start wanting a cig..Im stopping faster than a bullet on a steel target.
    I DO recommend the low cost cob pipes for starting...they are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Agree with SS. HANG IN THERE...

Every day you add to that month that you already have is a step in the right direction. Don't let the drug push you backwards.
    Thanks, gentlemen! It’s not been too bad. If I see or smell people smoking, which honestly isn’t often, then it makes me want to light up but other than that I just keep on keepin’ on.

With regard to pipes, I may pick it up someday. This evening I’ve been browsing around online and eyeballing a Savinelli (yes, yes… thanks a lot SS for showing yours off), as well as a Missouri Meerschaum. I’d go with the corn cob pipe first, but we shall see.

ETA: These two specifically. It’s based 100% on aesthetics..

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/n...duct_id=535963

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/n...duct_id=169874
    Last edited by WillieThom; 02-03-23 at 21:38.
    Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks, gentlemen! It’s not been too bad. If I see or smell people smoking, which honestly isn’t often, then it makes me want to light up but other than that I just keep on keepin’ on.

With regard to pipes, I may pick it up someday. This evening I’ve been browsing around online and eyeballing a Savinelli (yes, yes… thanks a lot SS for showing yours off), as well as a Missouri Meerschaum. I’d go with the corn cob pipe first, but we shall see.

ETA: These two specifically. It’s based 100% on aesthetics..

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/n...duct_id=535963

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/n...duct_id=169874
    Thats the exact cob Im getting next! Also- check out Peterson pipes..made in Dublin. As I find more and more custom pipe makers..I cant believe what works of art they are. And there is a video on YT of a guy, who is recognized as one of the worlds best burl hunters..going out to find new burl. And the process of curing and then getting the most figure out of the grain is just, to me, fascinating.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    If you was a former smoker for 40 years and dropped it like you did cold turkey...

You is a bad ass dude. That shit is a hard, hard habit for many to break.

Wish I had half the will power you obviously got with respect to nicotine and tobacco.

My mom quit (finally) about ten years ago after 30 yrs of smoking. Took her a BUNCH of tries before she finally found the way for HER to do it.

Much respect for both of you here for not allowing any damn drug to control you.
    No no, I smoked terribly hard for about 10 years...quit smoking cigs in '91 cold turkey. Stopped smoking pipes in '85, 38 years ago, sorry if I misspoke.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast