Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DA Sierra 5 Experiences

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

DA Sierra 5 Experiences

I’m about to buy my first suppressor that will be going on an 11.5” FBI Spec barrel with 0.069 gas port. I’ve been researching and reading between here and other forums trying to pick what “the best” 5.56 suppressor would be.

I know 5.56 SBR won’t be hearing safe no matter what. I’m mostly trying to just take the edge off of the concussion of a short barrel.

I have a PRI Gas Buster CH on the upper already, and as far as I know that’s all I can do about minimizing gas to face (im not interested in adjustable gas blocks).

I’ve narrowed my choices to DA Sierra 5 or Sandman.

For a suppressor staying on a 5.56 AR, is there any benefit to getting the larger Sandman?

The only other thing I’m mainly concerned with is backpressure, but I haven’t seen any negative things said about the Sierra 5.

Does anyone have any input/reasons to avoid the Sierra 5?

Some final details about the host AR:

-11.5” Centurion w/ FBI spec barrel (mine has 0.069 gas port; I know they were recently changed)
    -Lower receiver has A5H2 buffer (I can move up to an H3 if need be)
    -I have an FCD 6315XE (Xeno mount) already installed on the barrel, but if there’s good enough reason I don’t mind switching to something else before I make a purchase.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    You can't go wrong with Dead Air. Both are nice cans. If you're sure you're ok with a dedicated 5.56 can then there's no reason not to get the Sierra 5.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    No experience with the Sierra 5 yet. No reason to ASSume it won’t serve you well, though. If you change your mind and go for a Sandman, do the S, not the K.

I think you made a good choice in mounts.

Is this gun ever getting shot unsuppressed, other than initial keyhole checks?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    No experience with the Sierra 5 yet. No reason to ASSume it won’t serve you well, though. If you change your mind and go for a Sandman, do the S, not the K.

I think you made a good choice in mounts.

Is this gun ever getting shot unsuppressed, other than initial keyhole checks?
    Thanks. The Sandman S was the only other one I was considering.

The plan is that the gun will be shot only suppressed, I can't think of any scenarios where I would pull the suppressor off to shoot without. But that being said, I try to never say never.
    Last edited by w3453l; 02-03-23 at 12:15.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The Sierra should be a better choice than the Sandman on a 556.

It's shorter, lighter and slightly quieter according to Dead Air.

For a dedicated suppressed setup, look into an EZTUNE gas tube to reduce the gas rather than increasing the buffer weight.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The Sierra should be a better choice than the Sandman on a 556.

It's shorter, lighter and slightly quieter according to Dead Air.

For a dedicated suppressed setup, look into an EZTUNE gas tube to reduce the gas rather then increase the buffer weight.
    Thanks, I'll look into it.

So far, unsuppressed with A5H2, I was getting a few failure to lock back on empty magazine. This was with Wolf Gold; it was recent production, so I don't know if it's lower pressure than it used to be. The gun shot "soft", I know that's very subjective and not a good data point, but I think the gas drive should be good once I get a suppressor on it.

I don't remember the temperature, but I want to say it was low 40's.

That said I bought two stamps, and will hopefully get to the store to put the suppressors on layaway.

I'm decided on the Sierra 5 and will also grab a mask for .22 lr.
    Last edited by w3453l; 02-05-23 at 08:45.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Not sure how much real world average joe feedback you're going to get about the Sierra5. Even if someone ordered one when it first appeared they wouldn't have it for half a year yet or more. Only ones who have them are reviewers.

I have a Sandman S sitting on a BCM 11.5 and it has served me well with a few thousand rounds through it so far. I would imagine the Sierra5 being just as good, maybe better. I have a Geissele charging handle which is supposed to alleviate some gas to the face but after a mag or two in quick succession you feel it for sure. For some reason it was way worse when running that can on my 18" Noveske, maybe because I was in prone, no idea, but 10 rounds in I started to feel it.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Own a Sandman S and just ordered a Sierra 5. Right now I shoot the Sandman S on pretty much everything. My AR15's, my AR10, and a bolt action rifle. When my Sierra finally clears ATF (probably in about a year) I suspect it's going to end up being swapped between the AR's.

Agree there's not a lot of data on Sierra 5 yet. I really like the Sandman, and I love the Keymo mount. I also put an e-brake on mine, which keeps recoil pretty flat and may help a little with blowback. The Sandman is a little on the heavy side, but on a 10.5" or 11.5" gun I find it balances pretty nicely. The Sierra will be a couple of ounces lighter and a couple of inches shorter. I think it may suppress slightly better.

I've never had much of an issue with gas to the face shooting the Sandman S, even on my 10.5" and 11.5" AR's - and I shoot lefty. So you righties should have no problem at all. But I'm almost always shooting outdoors, generally with a little wind, and I tend not to do mag dumps, all of which probably helps. I do run either an H2 or H3 buffer when shooting suppressed. This is on DD and LMT 10.5" uppers and an 11.5" DD upper. All have been completely reliable and that's shooting in less than ideal conditions. Today I put about 80 suppressed rounds through my LMT upper. It was 2 degrees out. Shooting PMC X-tac had zero problems. No misfeeds, no failures to lock back on last round.

BTW - not sure if it's still on sale, but picked up my Sierra 5 from Bauer Precision for $716 shipped. And that's with Keymo mount and I believe a Keymo muzzle brake included. It was on sale, and then they had a coupon code for an additional 10% off. Best price I've seen.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Thanks, I'll look into it.

So far, unsuppressed with A5H2, I was getting a few failure to lock back on empty magazine. This was with Wolf Gold; it was recent production, so I don't know if it's lower pressure than it used to be. The gun shot "soft", I know that's very subjective and not a good data point, but I think the gas drive should be good once I get a suppressor on it.

I don't remember the temperature, but I want to say it was low 40's.

That said I bought two stamps, and will hopefully get to the store to put the suppressors on layaway.

I'm decided on the Sierra 5 and will also grab a mask for .22 lr.
    I have a pair of Sionics 11.5 reduced gas port barreled uppers mounted on lowers with A5H2 buffers, and I will say that I've never had a single issue locking back unsuppressed. Even with weak Russian ammo. If you're having issues with lock back with Wolf Gold on a 0.069 gas port barrel, I'd make sure that your gas block is properly installed, and then I'd try a different BCG to make sure the one you're using isn't out of spec, and potentially leaking gas.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo223 View Post
    Own a Sandman S and just ordered a Sierra 5. Right now I shoot the Sandman S on pretty much everything. My AR15's, my AR10, and a bolt action rifle. When my Sierra finally clears ATF (probably in about a year) I suspect it's going to end up being swapped between the AR's.

Agree there's not a lot of data on Sierra 5 yet. I really like the Sandman, and I love the Keymo mount. I also put an e-brake on mine, which keeps recoil pretty flat and may help a little with blowback. The Sandman is a little on the heavy side, but on a 10.5" or 11.5" gun I find it balances pretty nicely. The Sierra will be a couple of ounces lighter and a couple of inches shorter. I think it may suppress slightly better.

I've never had much of an issue with gas to the face shooting the Sandman S, even on my 10.5" and 11.5" AR's - and I shoot lefty. So you righties should have no problem at all. But I'm almost always shooting outdoors, generally with a little wind, and I tend not to do mag dumps, all of which probably helps. I do run either an H2 or H3 buffer when shooting suppressed. This is on DD and LMT 10.5" uppers and an 11.5" DD upper. All have been completely reliable and that's shooting in less than ideal conditions. Today I put about 80 suppressed rounds through my LMT upper. It was 2 degrees out. Shooting PMC X-tac had zero problems. No misfeeds, no failures to lock back on last round.

BTW - not sure if it's still on sale, but picked up my Sierra 5 from Bauer Precision for $716 shipped. And that's with Keymo mount and I believe a Keymo muzzle brake included. It was on sale, and then they had a coupon code for an additional 10% off. Best price I've seen.
    Thanks, the Sierra I bought was $699 with Xeno mount from my LGS. I was looking at Bauer Precision last night and thinking about another one from them.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I have a pair of Sionics 11.5 reduced gas port barreled uppers mounted on lowers with A5H2 buffers, and I will say that I've never had a single issue locking back unsuppressed. Even with weak Russian ammo. If you're having issues with lock back with Wolf Gold on a 0.069 gas port barrel, I'd make sure that your gas block is properly installed, and then I'd try a different BCG to make sure the one you're using isn't out of spec, and potentially leaking gas.
    I'll have to go back out and check it out. The upper is factory Centurion with their BCG, the lower I put together myself. I wonder if it might be a bolt catch issue. I'll try to get out this weekend again and see if I could recreate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast