Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Handguns with RDS and cross eyed dominate ??

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Shooting Handguns with RDS and cross eyed dominate ??

My brother is in town to shoot guns. He is left eye dominate and a right handed shooter. He tilts his head all cattywampus and does not shoot as well as he should.

Anyone had this and figured it out, because he is struggling with his eyes and RDS on handguns. With a rifle, no issue at all. Im so confused on helping him.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    My brother is in town to shoot guns. He is left eye dominate and a right handed shooter. He tilts his head all cattywampus and does not shoot as well as he should.

Anyone had this and figured it out, because he is struggling with his eyes and RDS on handguns. With a rifle, no issue at all. Im so confused on helping him.

PB
    Pappabear,

I think it may just take him time doing this. Is that how he always shoots pistols?

Want to say I saw Lucus from T-Rex Arms shoots this way as well.

Only time I ever shot like that was at night. Was using NV with my rifle but when swapping to pistol I used my un-NV eye and white light. This was just during some training so might not be the best method... just the best I could come up with at the time.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Found the video where he talks about.

https://youtu.be/DV_WTsF_7kM

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks Vandal. Appreciate it.

PB

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm cross-eye dominant but ended up shooting left-handed due to some nerve injuries in my right arm. Shooting pistols cross-eyed isn't too difficult with modern isosceles, just turn the head slightly so the dominant eye lines up with the sights. It may take some practice or training aids like scotch tape over eye-pro of the non-dominant eye to help the brain line up the hands and eye for the correct sight picture.

The difficulty comes with long gun shooting, where either your brother will have to shoot with one eye closed or switch shoulders to shoot both eyes open (a la shotgun trap/skeet).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm left eye dominant and shoot red dots just fine. My technique is i turn my head to the right slightly and i bring the gun slightly left.

Has he shot a red dot before?

A lot of people struggle at the beginning trying to steady the dot and end up pulling shots.

Tell him to accept the dot will wiggle around and focus on God grip and trigger press. That usually helps with my students.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB
    Just move the gun to the other eye with a slight turn of the head.

Trex arms has a decent video

Edit: eye see its been addressed already!
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-03-23 at 18:27.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    With the RDS he may not need to do anything other than practice with a normal grip, presenting a gun under his non-dominant eye. Bodkin starts saying something right on his video but doesn't finish with a correct conclusion. If your brother gets a correct poa/poi from under his nondominant eye in slow fire, all he needs to do is just practice that way. This is one small benefit of rds that people don't know much about.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Same, I just turn my head a little, Hated going left handed. Just adjusted my gear a bit to work around it, I do shoot long guns left handed though.
    Strange that feels more natural to me.

Pistol, rifle reloads behind it, space for ifak, dump pouch and pistol reloads.
    https://pasteboard.co/YIkoMOhMB0Zj.jpg

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks guys, I will pass it on to my brother.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast