Thread: Took my 03A3 to the Range

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Took my 03A3 to the Range

I have a 1919 1903 from my Dad and a 1930 1903 with a WWII barrel, bolt, and scant stock that I put together from a barreled receiver. Both are wonderful guns - I consider the 1930 rifle my "shooter" since the other has sentimental value.

Last weekend I picked up a 1943 (correction, probably January 1944 with a 12-43 barrel) Remington 1903A3 at the CMP South Store (Anniston, AL). As nearly as I can tell, it is correct with the exception of the trigger guard and lower band (both are Remington but parked, not blued).

I made a quick range trip with the rifle today and am very impressed so far. I remembered targets but not a holder so was pretty much limited to shooting clay pigeon fragments left on the 200 yard berm. First shot - fragment gone. Thought it was a pretty lucky shot and did not expect to do it again. I was wrong - 5 rounds of M2 ball, 4 chunks obliterated. Reload, repeat, etc.

Lighting was near perfect with the sun at my back shooting from shade at a well lit berm, but that is much better than I normally shoot iron sights. You could say I am a fan of the rifle and recoil was not an issue wearing a jacket that kept me warm at 34 degrees.

Its not much to look at compared to some, but I an definitely happy I bought it.

P.S. I know I need to shoot it for actual groups.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-05-23 at 09:02.