Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other annoying pistol trends?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I've been shooting .45 more lately and reloading it, too. I like it.
    Good God 9mm has wrecked my pistol shooting. We we've taken a 45 out for the last two weeks and 4 of us shooters look like complete shit. Two guys who aren't as active in shooting as Pappabear and I just couldn't hit shit.

I had to REALLY slow down and super focus on getting a clean break on the trigger. I really need to pick up some 40 cal ammo and get used to shooting a full powered pistol again. It's disturbing.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Quality Control is a big one, SW for example, 2 Performance Center revolvers in the last month going back, both cylinder issues, binding. A third we could fix, loose ejector rod--how does that get out of QC? Of course the elephant man-Equalizer-wtf. They could at least dump that grip safety from the EZ line. Big thing is on the PC EZ line, the grip safety is larger, so that tells me they know that the smaller one causes shooter related problems. Yes, a training issue in a sense but one has to alter the grip slightly to insure its depressed.

That and the gay assed shiiit of folks thumbing the front end of a slide to "press check" and if you don't have a light, dot and 20 rounds in your gun, you will die idiots.
    Good one! Quality is absolutely a problem!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Good God 9mm has wrecked my pistol shooting. We we've taken a 45 out for the last two weeks and 4 of us shooters look like complete shit. Two guys who aren't as active in shooting as Pappabear and I just couldn't hit shit.

I had to REALLY slow down and super focus on getting a clean break on the trigger. I really need to pick up some 40 cal ammo and get used to shooting a full powered pistol again. It's disturbing.
    A couple years ago I decided "I'm getting away from .45 acp forever."

Then I started reloading. Concerns of cumulative recoil on the wrists and cost of shooting it are both considerably reduced by reloading. .45 acp is pretty versatile. Want a 255 gr bullet loaded hot for penetration? It can do it. Want a lightweight, low recoiling SD bullet that expands to near an inch with reduced penetration? Can do. Want just a 180-200 gr lead / coated bullet at 800 fps for low-recoil practice / fun? It will do that, too!

Plus, with my timer, I've learned that the extra recoil of .45 doesn't actually slow my shooting or lessen my accuracy. Much to my dismay, actually. Because for years I've been of the opinion that, "if all service pistol bullets suck, why not carry the Beretta Cheetah .32 /.380 I enjoy so much? At least I get hits faster than any 9x19, let alone a more powerful cartridge." Wrong. I can draw and fire them all as quickly with the same accuracy at close range. At longer range the bigger guns can get the hits more easily than the small ones. Duh. Especially with an optic.

Now, I've found I can shoot .45 acp just as fast with the same accuracy. If I can find the right gun, afford the ammo, the gun holds "enough" bullets for me, and each bullet may have more "stopping power" (Yea, I said it!) why not carry it?

I've got a new .45 pistol coming for try-outs right now.
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-06-23 at 14:31.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Did you find a longer grip compact?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    It's going to be close. I have medium sized hands and I saw reviews of other guys claiming that with the magwell flare removed (designed to be removable) they can scrunch their little finger just onto the baseplate.

There are extended factory base plates that are available should the extra 3/8 in be desired.

The gun isn't light, to help dampen recoil. It isn't heavy, so I'll carry it. It is optics-ready and I'll put my 507C on it. Higher iron sights available from Dawson Precision. Holds 9+1, changeable backstrap, and for a little extra safety, has a grip safety.

You know what it is and I'm going to give it a chance.
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-06-23 at 16:01.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Annoying to me is quality and the tendencey to "get that son of a bitch on the market, we're not waiting around for testing, and we're not going to waste ten minutes per gun to make sure it's reliable!"

And, "If it breaks it breaks! It probably won't break because the numbers tell us they won't shoot it much anyway! Now SHIP THEM!"
    Yea, Ned, this is why most used guns are a fair deal. People rarely shoot like many guys on this forum and shoot weekly. So guns are mostly pre owned more than used.

I'm annoyed I don't have more guns, that's about it.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Only about 200 rds through the Springfield XDM Elite Compact (I think that's correct) and except for my reloads being long for it, it worked fine & I like it.

My reloads had been tailored for the M&P 2.0 but the XDM has a slightly shorter chamber, apparently, causing the slide to just barely not close all of the way and making it tough to eject the unfired round. I'll push those bullets in a tad more and retry them. 200 gr LFN. S&B, Silvertips, and Underwood 185 gr +p Nosler JHP also ran fine.

I appreciated the larger 507c optic window over the Leupold Micro.

Surprisingly, the XDM had LESS recoil than the full size M&P. It's because the grip is slightly wider and more rounded, and the dual recoil springs probably helped alot, too. That was a nice surprise.

Excellent ejection, good accuracy, no trigger issues.

Need to shoot it more & get tall sights for it.
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-02-23 at 08:33.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Most of us are wondering why anyone is making new pistols for .40 or .45, and
    Men still buy guns. I know the feminization of everything in America has also permeated pistol calibers, but some guys still shoot the men's division!!!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I said new guns, as in new designs.

I wasn’t suggesting they stop making 1911’s for old people yet.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Such toxic masculinity!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast