Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other annoying pistol trends?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Wanting an optic, mounted low, and wanting back-up sights, significantly reduces gun options.
    Just go with a Glock 19/17/43X. Spend your energy being mad elsewhere. The water is fine, come on it...

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    I wasn’t suggesting they stop making 1911’s for old people yet.
    Gotta give something for the old timers to tinker and try to fix all the time, after they jam at the range from being in their glove box because they never get carried...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My original comment was actually serious and not a poke at our elderly shooters.

Look at the Sig P365, there is no talk about a larger caliber and it’s a huge seller for them. Making a 9mm pistol that can be upsized to .40 has downsides, especially in the smaller carry sizes and they obviously don’t think the sales are enough to offset it.

It also costs money to make and stock parts for every pistol in every caliber.

I really don’t pay much attention to anything .45 but I’m pretty sure Sig dropped the P320 some time ago. I think .40 still has some inertia in LE so I expect to keep seeing duty sized pistols in it for a while.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Take the optic footprint of the acro or the holosun 509t and make it the standard in pistol red dots. Then pistols can come optic ready and we can stop with Ali this milling and long waits for costume work.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Just go with a Glock 19/17/43X. Spend your energy being mad elsewhere. The water is fine, come on it...
    Already spent the 90's-2013 w/Glocks.

The guns I like now don't share the grip angle, feel better in-hand, and don't throw casings in my face. All while being reliable.
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-03-23 at 10:32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Good God 9mm has wrecked my pistol shooting. We we've taken a 45 out for the last two weeks and 4 of us shooters look like complete shit. Two guys who aren't as active in shooting as Pappabear and I just couldn't hit shit.

I had to REALLY slow down and super focus on getting a clean break on the trigger. I really need to pick up some 40 cal ammo and get used to shooting a full powered pistol again. It's disturbing.
    Agree! I started shooting my G23.4 again about 6 months ago just to get better with my G19’s. I’d gotten complacent with mostly shooting 9MM and a LOT of .22LR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    A couple years ago I decided "I'm getting away from .45 acp forever."

Then I started reloading. Concerns of cumulative recoil on the wrists and cost of shooting it are both considerably reduced by reloading. .45 acp is pretty versatile. Want a 255 gr bullet loaded hot for penetration? It can do it. Want a lightweight, low recoiling SD bullet that expands to near an inch with reduced penetration? Can do. Want just a 180-200 gr lead / coated bullet at 800 fps for low-recoil practice / fun? It will do that, too!

Plus, with my timer, I've learned that the extra recoil of .45 doesn't actually slow my shooting or lessen my accuracy. Much to my dismay, actually. Because for years I've been of the opinion that, "if all service pistol bullets suck, why not carry the Beretta Cheetah .32 /.380 I enjoy so much? At least I get hits faster than any 9x19, let alone a more powerful cartridge." Wrong. I can draw and fire them all as quickly with the same accuracy at close range. At longer range the bigger guns can get the hits more easily than the small ones. Duh. Especially with an optic.

Now, I've found I can shoot .45 acp just as fast with the same accuracy. If I can find the right gun, afford the ammo, the gun holds "enough" bullets for me, and each bullet may have more "stopping power" (Yea, I said it!) why not carry it?

I've got a new .45 pistol coming for try-outs right now.
    Everything you mention are great points and also apply to .40 and 10MM as well.

I’m just beginning to load for .40 in anticipation of a G23.5 MOS and that cartridge is pretty fun to shoot when loaded to 60% of the range and can make shooting 9MM a breeze.

Feedback Score
    Most of us are wondering why anyone is making new pistols for .40 or .45……
    Because some folks like variety, and don’t need to feel compelled to follow whatever herd is gathering…

Most of my guns are 9MM, but I’m pretty sure I’ll always have at least one .40, one 10MM, one .45ACP, a .38, and a .357. That’s not counting my .22’s. Why?

Because I feel that shooting stouter guns in training makes me a better 9MM shooter. When I go to the range, I always start with a .22 (G44) and get the trigger work/sight alignment stuff in and warm up. Then I get into 9MM with either a G19 iron sight or MOS, or a G43X/G48 MOS. Those are my carry guns.

But lately, I’m bringing my G23.4 along and shooting several magazines for trigger control and mental conditioning as the recoil is more than my G19, and I feel it is helping me better deal with G43X recoil and recovery.

And also, I like my .40 cal. It’s a great caliber to shoot. Sure, no one needs it…but when did “need” really mean much in a firearm conversation?

Feedback Score
    ".., I've found I can shoot .45 acp just as fast with the same accuracy..."

When I say this, I mean me, with my timer and targets, there isn't enough difference to make a difference.

The difference is within my constancy. I hope that makes sense.

Were I a pro-gamer, there would be a repeatable difference that could matter in a close match. In a gunfight that time probably isn't going to be enough to get me a better hit or another hit, or an effect that matters. That's my assumption.

Bullets making slighter larger and / or slightly deeper holes? That could make more of a difference. Again, my assumption / hope.

Or, none of it will make a difference. Oh well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I said new guns, as in new designs.

I wasn’t suggesting they stop making 1911’s for old people yet.
    This old guy sold off his last 45 ACP 1911 before the turn of the century. Now all I have left is a pair of Gen 3 G19's, a G43x, a Gen 3 G23 and a Gen 3 G30S and a few S&W revolvers for the range on those days when the ennui is strong.......

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast