Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pin and weld: shims or crush washer

Feedback Score

Pin and weld: shims or crush washer

I have "several" 14.5" barrels that I've decide to pin & weld, I'll wait for further rulings on SBR's for some, but in the meantime I will do the p&w. So, what is the general consensus on shims vs the crush washer? I would prefer shims, as I've read in some instances, that after welding, the crush washer is loose. Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    shims always, the days of the crush washer are dead to me because they dont crush evenly which means your MD could not be straight and now you have a pinned MD thats throwing your accuracy off.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcatdriver View Post
    I have "several" 14.5" barrels that I've decide to pin & weld, I'll wait for further rulings on SBR's for some, but in the meantime I will do the p&w. So, what is the general consensus on shims vs the crush washer? I would prefer shims, as I've read in some instances, that after welding, the crush washer is loose. Thoughts?
    I had one that got wobbly on me. Not sure if it took a whack, or heat cycling or what. Shame is, I gave it to a “gunsmith” already secured with a shim, with instructions not to replace it, and he did anyway. Its one of the numerous reasons I am distrustful of gunsmiths, and would rather hand an upper to a guy at a body shop.

Anyway…shims.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Shims 100%. Especially if you ever want to suppress it. Better safe than sorry.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Same. I stopped using anything else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Throw all your crush washers in the trash, they're only used to save time in mass assembly. Take the time and do it right with shims.
    Forward Ascertainment Group

Feedback Score
    Another vote for shims or accu washers, especially it you're pinning a suppressor mount.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Throw all your crush washers in the trash, they're only used to save time in mass assembly. Take the time and do it right with shims.
    That almost makes sense lol.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses. I thought the same, but I do see crush washers still being used. Shims just seem correct for something that basically won't be taken apart.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast