Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pin and weld: shims or crush washer

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I want to be an ass and lobby for the crush washer. I just can't though. I leave them on barrels that come with them, but never use them If I'm mounting a bird cage.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Are the Accu washers beveled on the internal end that goes against the barrel? Or does that not matter?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Are the Accu washers beveled on the internal end that goes against the barrel? Or does that not matter?
    They have the edges broken on the inside diameter. Call it a very small chamfer.

Dunno if I would call it a 'bevel' in the same way that barrel makers use that term to describe their threads.

The washer will cone-out a small amount as you torque against it. To flatten against the shoulder of the barrel. Won't work with any real taper or other non-spec geometries going on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    I have had trouble with accu-washers on some barrels. The accu-washers will not sit flush against the shoulder unless I bevel the aft edge of the hole by hand.

Another consideration is that most shims are stainless, and the various types of stainless are far from carbon steel in the galvanic series (austenitic stainless more than martensitic). This could cause some galvanic corrosion in the long term, as the phosphate finish on the barrel shoulder and the flash hider can be rubbed off by the torquing process.
    Last edited by StainlessSlide; 02-15-23 at 22:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by StainlessSlide View Post
    I have had trouble with accu-washers on some barrels. The accu-washers will not sit flush against the shoulder unless I bevel the aft edge of the hole by hand.

Another consideration is that most shims are stainless, and the various types of stainless are far from carbon steel in the galvanic series (austenitic stainless more than martensitic). This could cause some galvanic corrosion in the long term, as the phosphate finish on the barrel shoulder and the flash hider can be rubbed off by the torquing process.
    Thats why the first washer you're supposed to use in the Surefire shim pack is beveled.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    https://precisionarmament.com/accu-w...gnment-system/

they should never be used on any baffle style muzzle device where the clearance hole is only slightly larger than the bullet

I stick with regular shims for anything that may ever seen suppressor use. Even if I don't own the can for a particular mount, if it is a mount for a can, its getting a shim. Above, I think the position of Precision Armament is pretty clear, there washers are not recommended for suppressor use.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    https://precisionarmament.com/accu-w...gnment-system/

I stick with regular shims for anything that may ever seen suppressor use. Even if I don't own the can for a particular mount, if it is a mount for a can, its getting a shim. Above, I think the position of Precision Armament is pretty clear, there washers are not recommended for suppressor use.
    To be clear, they are talking about crush washers in that quote. They specifically claim that their product reduces the risk of baffle strikes.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    To be clear, they are talking about crush washers in that quote. They specifically claim that their product reduces the risk of baffle strikes.
    That is correct.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Another vote for the Accu-Washers. They're all I use any more. Here's what Precision Armament says about using them with a suppressor:

Since only one shim is required, the tolerance stackups and complexities associated with peel washers and other multi-shim systems are eliminated. This minimizes the risk of baffle strikes, ensuring maximum accuracy and safety from your muzzle brake or suppressor.
    Last edited by SteveL; 02-17-23 at 22:33.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Odd guy out here. If a SF mount then shims, if M4 14.5 type with A2X crush washers are fine...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast