Thread: Schmidt and Bender Short Dot Dual 1-8 vs VCOG 1-8x

Feedback Score

Schmidt and Bender Short Dot Dual 1-8 vs VCOG 1-8x

I have a DD5V3 that needs a scope. I like my VCOG 1-8x on my SCAR 17. Great eye box, good glass, but the mounting options are limited for VCOGs (1.54” vs > 2” Unity FAST mount). On the SCAR, it practically sits at 1.7-1.8” high since the rail is slightly higher compared to an AR. On my ARs, I prefer 1.93” high cantilever mounts, and I have a spare 1.93” ADM titanium lever mount with 30 mm rings that needs to be used. The height helps my neck, lol. I tried an ACOG KRAM once and found the mounting questionable on a VCOG mount compared to the ACOG (they don’t offer enough long screws even when I asked https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/kra...g-pattern.html).

I’ve looked through the ATACR, Vortex 1-10x and did not like them much. I also want something daylight bright so Primary Arms is out of the question. Hence, if anyone has trigger time behind both a VCOG 1-8 and S&B, I would appreciate it. Use will be 300 yards in, mostly < 100 yards because of the ranges around me. I want to take it to a course as well. 1x is more important to me than the top end (think more battle rifle). Hence, the short dot dual and the VCOG 1-8 fit my requirements well. I feel a 1-8 makes more sense than a 1-6 on a .308. My eyesight sucks so a higher top end is better (but I did not like the Vortex due to distortion thanks to my astigmatism…….Euro Optics work well with my eyes for some reason and I am a huge Kahles fan as a consequence).

I did look through and play with a S&B 1-8 short dot dual this summer at EuroOptic in PA, mounted to one of their fake rifles. The reps were very helpful. I haven’t bought anything yet due to other projects.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    If you like Kahles, why not the K18i? Or do you want FFP?
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The S&B seems pretty cool, with the dot in SFP and the reticle in FFP. I'd love to try one, but damn they are expensive, not sure I'd spend $5K+ on an LPVO. I do like my Kahles K16i and would also like to check out a K18i.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    The K18i is friggin awesome. It had the best eyebox and glass of any 1-8x I’ve tried besides its cousin the Swarovski 1-8x. I just figured FFP with a tree reticle makes more sense for a .308 platform if I take it to a class where I get to shoot at distance. Second focal plane makes more sense for any 1-4 or 1-6x optic to me at least.

However, I honestly can’t think of a situation where I would only use 2-4x to take a shot beyond 200 yards with my crappy eyesight, especially if I could crank it up to 6-8x (unless I had to rapid fire a horde of zombies and needed the wider FOV). With 5.56 and .308, there is not much adjustment needed for elevation or windage under 200 yards unless you need a police marksman set up, which is not for a LPVO anyway.

Feedback Score
    https://www.eurooptic.com/Schmidt-Be...43E-K2-H2.aspx

Euro Optic has open box demos for < $4k.