Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 Striker Spring

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    It seems this is happening more with Gen 5 Glocks.

They've come full circle.
    I wouldn’t necessarily blame the gun. When I say I don’t think its been shot that much, we’re still talking about several thousand rounds, and I’m using Bosnian primers. I’ve been told that Euro market Glocks use a much stronger striker spring for this reason.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    In reality Gen5 striker and recoil springs should last as long as one would likely own the gun.

I have some with ~15K and they still check out good.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    In reality Gen5 striker and recoil springs should last as long as one would likely own the gun.

I have some with ~15K and they still check out good.
    I agree. ST911 shared some info with me that leads me to believe my spring is fine. My previous high-mileage guns are/were other generations, and I didn’t know the spring hasn’t changed. I’ve had to replace Gen 4 springs, but it wasn’t close to this early.

I think my problem is ammo or filth, and I’m leaning toward the former.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    Glock firing pin spring #63 is the same firing pin spring for all Glock models and Gens:
    https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/SP00063
    They were out of stock at this link. I ordered one from Midway. Primary Arms also has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidneyious View Post
    is the striker still in spec?
    How do I measure this?

Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    I use the wolff extra power striker spring in all my Glocks. It's only 1/2 pound heavier than factory. Doesn't seem to change trigger pull much at all. I was getting light strikes on a batch of reloads. Problem solved

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prod55142.aspx
    If cleaning the channel and replacing the factory spring does not solve the problem, I’ll put one of these in it.
    Last edited by 1168; 02-07-23 at 12:46.

Feedback Score
    Bottom line, as I see it: You bought or acquired a used gun. You do not know its history. You have a few issues. First step is to baseline the gun. New striker spring and RAS. You might not need them but it removes variables to troubleshoot. I also would change the cups. You mic the striker to be sure it is in spec. I don't remember the spec for the OAL, but google it. Be sure the tip is in good shape. Use only glock parts.

Detail strip the gun. Clean and inspect all parts. Be sure the striker channel is clean and dry. Inspect liner for burrs. Inspect extractor for chips. Proper lube, reassemble and try factory ammo. If no issues, try reloads. If issues with reloads, I suspect it is the reloads.

As an example, my son acquired a used 17. He got it from another officer and wanted to go 10-8 with it. He took it to the range and the thing had multiple issues. He brought it to me and we did a baseline. I found a number of non glock parts and altered parts. I replaced numerous items including the striker. Someone had put it on a polishing wheel and was highly aggressive. They had taken way too much material off of the lug. Afterwards, all was good and it is his duty gun after he qualed with it.

Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc View Post
    Bottom line, as I see it: You bought or acquired a used gun. You do not know its history.
    I appreciate the advice, but this gun was bought new via Blue Label and has all-original trigger and striker related parts.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    The OP's Gen4 has an extra-strength firing pin spring. Just swap the firing pin springs for now for an immediate determination if a new spring solves the problem.

As bad firing pin springs are possible, I'd still also be looking to test with factory ammo instead on one's reloads. So many folks just can't believe their reloads can be a problem, whether it's an individual component (brass, primer) or the person's reloading technique or methods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    The OP's Gen4 has an extra-strength firing pin spring. Just swap the firing pin springs for now for an immediate determination if a new spring solves the problem.

As bad firing pin springs are possible, I'd still also be looking to test with factory ammo instead on one's reloads. So many folks just can't believe their reloads can be a problem, whether it's an individual component (brass, primer) or the person's reloading technique or methods.
    I’m on the opposite of that spectrum. I do think my ammo is suspect. The reason I’ve been hand-priming them is to eliminate seating problems on a progressive as a source of the problem. My Gen 4 does eat them up with its +0.5lb spring.
    Last edited by 1168; 02-12-23 at 14:14.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Follow up. Its the primers.

I shot 250 rounds today. I’ve not cleaned, replaced, or modified anything.

50 Federal Syntech (non tox primers)
    50 Blazer Brass
    100 Fiocchi Training Dynamics
    50 reloads with CCI 500s

She ate. I’m still going to clean it, and report back on FP and FP spring measurements when the spring gets here, and I’ll probably swap in a Wolf +0.5lb to light these primers more consistently.

Update edit:
    I took it apart, cleaned it, replaced the spring. It was dirty. Old spring was .137” shorter than new spring. Both are factory. I don’t have a tool to measure Glock striker protrusion, but it looks more than adequate, eyeballing it in comparison to an AR bolt with a gauged firing pin.
    Last edited by 1168; 03-07-23 at 13:35.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The new factory striker spring helped, but did not completely solve the problem. 1/100 ftf. The Wolff +0.5lb striker spring seems to be the solution.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast