Thread: Best 5x or 6x magnifier

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Best 5x or 6x magnifier

I wish to get a 5x or 6x magnifier for a very specific use case, namely for zeroing my red dot sights at 50m.

I have two Aimpoint 3x’s for my CompM5’s and a G43 for my Eotech. They’re both great magnifiers but they don’t give me the level of clarity on a 50m zero target that I need (not the magnifiers’ fault). I of course have used both of the 3x’s to do this but given an old injury to my dominant eye, zeroing takes more time and ammunition than it should.

While reviews for the Aimpoint 3x are stellar (and I concur), reviews for the 6x seem to be universally luke warm. With the G45, reviewers seem to love it or hate it.

Questions:

1. Which would you choose of those presented in my post?
    2. If you recommend neither, which other magnifier might you suggest? I see reviewers complain that the Vortex 6x loses its center with respect to the magnified red dot sight each time the flip mount is used.

Many Thanks!
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

O•MARS•CORROBORA•ME•VT•PVGNARE•PERGAM

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Interested in the comments. We're playing with the Vortex 3x now.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Which optics have you been pairing the Vortex 3x with? I’ve been considering one for my UH1 and they I see they have great reviews.

It’s funny to me that Aimpoint, Eotech and Vortex nail 3x but then stumble with 5 or 6x.
    VETERANVS•EGO•SVM

O•MARS•CORROBORA•ME•VT•PVGNARE•PERGAM

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We've tried the Vortex with Eotech XPS, Several Aimpoints, and a Romeo. The romeo is the worst with doubling the dot. All the aimpoints do it too, but not as bad. The Eotech works best due to single glass I guess.

I posted this in the Trijicon 3X thread: Bottom line with the Vortex is no big improvement with hit probability at 500 yards, but target Identification is greatly improved. When you aim at 500, the double dot is confusing because you don't know which dot to use. Not a problem at closer targets, but at 500 with wind, an exact aiming point is needed.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I already own a Vortex micro 3x, that work’s Awesome with my AEMS. I want to try a Juliet 4x on my other AEMS equipped carbine.
    I don’t know if it’s the reticle, or what…but the AEMS magnifies much cleaner then any rds I’ve owned.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I was very fond of my G45/T2 setup.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)